• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My new friends!

Becca

Members
My coworker came by my office today with a box of Silk Worms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_worm). These things are SO cool.

Apparently, as adults, they are flightless and will simply mate, lay eggs, and die within a few days of reaching their adult form - a big fuzzy moth. The are among the OLDEST domesticated animals in the world and have been bred by humans for so long that they are no longer viable in the wild - that might be a good thing considering how quickly these guys have laid waste to the mulberry leaves they came with.

The eggs, supposedly, will lie dormant until next spring and then hatch.

They look to be at about the size where they're getting ready to go into cocoons.

The caterpillars are quite docile and kind of beautiful - really cool little bugs.

Becca

Members
I could, but then I'd have to boil them alive in their cocoons. That doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do to my friends!

I used to raise silk worms back when I lived in San Diego. Unfortuantely at the time, I was using them to feed my veiled chameleons as a treat. But it was such a pain to find mulberry leaves for them!

Arlene

Becca

Members
I used to raise silk worms back when I lived in San Diego. Unfortuantely at the time, I was using them to feed my veiled chameleons as a treat. But it was such a pain to find mulberry leaves for them!

Arlene

There's mulberries everywhere here in the spring.