• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My new 100g tall Mbuna tank!

secuono

Members
Here is my new tank, they are loving the space! And they so do use the top half of the tank, lol.
I also have a Q, what bottom dweller can live with them? I've heard Featherfin catfish, Rainbow shark, BN pleco and the common catfish that live in their river.
Another Q, could I add more fish? I'd like to get more of any that are only trios or singles. So just 4-8 more. This would make the permanent inhabitants, I won't be removing fish 'as they grow' into 5-6in adults.
There are 25 or 26 fish total, may have miscounted on one of them. All are 1in to 3.5in, so no full sized adults yet. All get along, none bother any plants still.
Tank is not 100% done, hope to add a wall of hiding holes on the back wall and plant the flora at some point.
Pic was taken right after I finished adding all the fish. But now, a few hours later, they are all over the place, way at the top and every where just loving it. =D
New pic tomorrow.
Specs for those curious. Fuval FX5, so does not fit in the stand, lol. Sunsun canister & Rena canister. Fuval heater, the one w/the plastic around it. Sand is 3 bags of Cichlid sand, in time it will even out, right now it is covering some of the tunnels, but the fish will fix that. Unfortunately, it's a pretty narrow tank, the 150 at Petsmart would of been better, but this one is taller than me and at least for the New Year it will suffice. Two bits of long wood, couple Cichlid stones, some Rainbow rocks and the rest from my field. Light is just a 4ft shop light.
396448_316262125073969_100000705527207_1049484_216287422_n.jpg

Last edited:

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
The tank is coming along nicely. Have you considered putting a background on the tank? I noticed that you have the FX5 output near the bottom of the tank. I have not seen that done before, but imagine the fish would like the additional current.

secuono

Members
All are as low as I could make them to move water down at their usual level and to get behind those rocks. The Rena spray bar is vertical to get as low as possible, too.
No paper background, I want to make caves/rocks all the way up from the short left wall and from the back to the left corner in a triangle shape of sorts. Not sure how I'll make it yet, don't want to use real rocks. If Cichlid stones were cheaper, I'd get more.
They were at the top, but then saw the camera and dived. They are back at the top now, guess when I get fast internet I can take a video and maybe wait long enough to show you guys. =)
386535_316653098368205_100000705527207_1050560_1803044753_n.jpg

secuono

Members
Thanks, but nah. They all hide under it if someone suddenly scares them. Plus I don't have more room in other tanks for them.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I love the addition of plants! It was looking good before but it's much better now! :happy0180:

Last edited:

secuono

Members
My Cichlids are showing schooling behavior now, is that normal??
They are all different kinds and sizes, they all know each other for months. But now that all those plants are in there, all seem to school up a corner, around, across and then disperse. I don't know if they are still afraid of something or what, but if they were afraid, they would dash or stay in the rock.
It's kind of really cool....