• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Malawi / Victorian tank

Ading522

Members
Finally setup.. Just need more deco.. :) first time running a sump overflow setup as well! :)
Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1382014474585.jpg

Ading522

Members
What species do you have in there?

i have a colony of 14 demasoni..gave them lots of little nooks and crannies to hide in.. still unsure of my ratio but im pretty male heavy.. i have a supposed trio of 1m2f crimson tail but i dont know if they are..i will post a picture of the male.. i have 2 adult p.nyererei and about 5-6 juvies from Christine.. 2 p.macrocephala and 3 juvies..and 6 p.acei white tail-courtesy of Tony.. :) loving the mix of all colors so far.. :)

Very nice tank. How's the sump working out for you?

It took a while to calibrate the overflow to sump so i wouldnt have a flood somewhere in the middle of a power outage, but i finally did.. i will soon post a video of the tank and setup.. :) hopefully it all works out well..

I was about to say the same thing. I would split your Victorian groups up. They also aren't fond of conspecifics either so you are looking at some battles there as well.

Ading522

Members
here is a link to the video of the tank.. still have to find a nice piece of filter material to reduce vibration noise of the tank..but all i really wanted was to figure out the calibration first..its been up and running for 4 days now..and im pretty happy about it.. moved the demasoni colony in last yesterday.. any suggestions and inputs please comment! thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX2xjmgxecE

enjoy!

Ading522

Members
Is that a good combination? Victorians from the same genus seems like a big hybridization risk to me.

i was thinking since size and breeding colors are totally different, i would be ok from hybridization.. the p.macrocephala that are large i picked up at the first pvas all day auction i went to this year.. they were listed as a pair, but i think i ended up with two males as i can see them squabbling over some territory..

here is the link i was researching before i decided to put them in together..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2632

chriscoli

Administrator
Hmmmmmm I don't own any p.nyererei....so you didn't get those from me....or what you got from me aren't p.nyererei.

You will run into problems more from the female side of things, where they are mostly shiny silver fish, the boys might not be inclined to tell the difference and that's where you will run into the hybridization issue. Size wont be a determining factor as I have had female P. Nyererei breed as small as 1.5" in length

Ading522

Members
You will run into problems more from the female side of things, where they are mostly shiny silver fish, the boys might not be inclined to tell the difference and that's where you will run into the hybridization issue. Size wont be a determining factor as I have had female P. Nyererei breed as small as 1.5" in length

But what about the article I read that I also posted on this thread? It said that they can be housed with p.nyererei with no problems.. Hmmmmm..ill need more research on this..anyone else with input on this?

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ading522

Members
Hmmmmmm I don't own any p.nyererei....so you didn't get those from me....or what you got from me aren't p.nyererei.

I know now..I got you mixed up with the same time I bought the p.nyererei..I bought p.red flank nansio bay..right? Sorry! Now I see that I may have hybridization issues.. Hmmmm..

Ading522

Members
So far I've had no spawni g activity with the pundamilias.. Would probably resort to culling if there ever should be.. Wouldn't want these to hybridize..

chriscoli

Administrator
I know now..I got you mixed up with the same time I bought the p.nyererei..I bought p.red flank nansio bay..right? Sorry! Now I see that I may have hybridization issues.. Hmmmm..

Yep, you go the Nansio Bays from me.

Ading522

Members
In his talk, Greg Steeves said there was a likelihood that fish hybridize in lake Victoria! If you plan on saving fry you should separate them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

was picking at Dave's brain through email and he recomended the same thing.. so im going to have to rethink this through.. will be separating the macrocephala group.. the crimson tide cichlid turns out to be a nyererei or red flank, so i really only have 3 groups of pundamilia in there with the nyererei being all males..theyll go to the show tank..and the red flank will stay, while the macros get their own tank.. well.. ill be updating! thanks for the advices!