• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Jack Dempsey

I am a bit concerned about one of my Jack Dempsies. I have a breeding pair of Dempsies that I've had for the better part of 5 years now. Lately the smaller one has been acting a bit odd. Every night it will start swimming wrecklesly around my tank slamming it's self into the glass, rocks,plants and other fish, pretty mucheverything in the tank. It will do this till it knocks its self senseless then while it's stunned it will swim in circles, float upside down or on its side for a short time. Then its color changes to a pale color and it swims to a corner for a bit till it rights its self and then it will swim back next to its mate. It eats well and other than this new bizarre act, acts perfectly normal. This has been going on close to two weeks now and I'm just a bit concerner something may be wrong with it. Can someone please help me with this if at all possible.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Is this only when the lights go out? I have had fish occasionally get spooked when the timer cuts out. It's not often or repeated necessarily, but my only idea.

If this is the case, try adding a moonlight to the tank that is on at night or even a small nightlight to the room.

Good luck.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I agree with Tony that it could be being spooked. Try leaving a light on in the room for a while after the tank light goes out.

I would remove any decorations that could be hazardous to the fish or tank if a collision accurs. I have no idea why its happening but I had a midas cichlid who did the same thing. Only happened once he hit about 6 inches. Just like humans fish can become head injured ftom repeated blows to the head. In my case it wasn't the condition that killed him but the resulting damage caused by repeating collisions with hard/sharp objects. also I haf a lite strip that would short out when I pressed the switch this sent a shock through the tank this made the fish react just like you are describing check your wires maybe

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

He seems to do it with or without the light on. I didn't think of electrical shock so I'll check on that next. Sadly though i found him pinned under one of the rocks in my tank dead. Hopefully it was just something wrong with him and none of my other fish start this behavior. So farso good on that front but it still sucks cause now I have to find another male for my female. Ty for all the help and I'll still be looking at my wiring to see if that is an issue.