• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My first fish health issue

WendyFish

Members
or: Why I Spent Fourth of July Watching For Fish Poop

EthanFish and I are pretty new to cichlid keeping; we have had our tank up for about 3 months now.

Yesterday we had our first fish health issue, which I think we navigated successfully enough that I won't be quite so worried about fish health issues.

At feeding time we noticed that our ahli had a bump at the back of its stomach, but it was still eating and acting basically normal. Remain calm, scour internet, guess constipation, and by this morning we had it all fixed up. (By the way, we were also drinking champagne and watching fireworks from the porch, so our poop vililance was not cramping the party style too much.)

What did we do before the internet?

Anyway, one thing I wanted to ask about -- I'm not sure if I should be worried about this recurring or not, and whether we should be concerned about their diet. We give our cichlids a pretty diverse diet; we have three types of food that we rotate or mix in feeding: Nutrafin Spirulina, Wardley cichlid flakes, and New Life Spectrum pellets. The flakes have 2% fiber and the pellets have 5%. Is there something else that would be better for feeding? Should we think about supplementing with the peas solution from time to time? Or status quo and just keep an eye out in case of future problems with the ahli?

Jumbie

Members
The food you are feeding sounds fine to me, how offten and how much are you feeding him? Also what size is the fish and what size pellets are you feeding

WendyFish

Members
Also... the ahli certainly holds its own in terms of getting to the food, but is probably just an average eater. Eating champ title belongs to the borleyi.

fischfan13

Banned
My concern would not be a dietary concern.

Tank size?
Filtration?
Water changes...amount and frequency.
Have/do you ever add a little bit of salt (sea or kosher) to the water?

WendyFish

Members
36 bow with a Rena Filster xP2 canister. We change out 5 gallons a week basically (we have a fair amount of rock in it so that's probably 15ish percent). We test the water fairly frequently and haven't seen ammonia or nitrite at all since it was cycled. Haven't used salt.

Jumbie

Members
I would do a larger water change; I recommend a 40-50% weekly. The pellets size is fine for him, feeding twice a day it ok as well. You may won't to try to fast your fish for a day or two weekly. I fast my fish all the time; it's good for their digestive system. Other than that it doesn't look like your doing anything wrong. Good luck

YSS

Members
36 bow with a Rena Filster xP2 canister. We change out 5 gallons a week basically (we have a fair amount of rock in it so that's probably 15ish percent). We test the water fairly frequently and haven't seen ammonia or nitrite at all since it was cycled. Haven't used salt.

Test for nitrate. What is the level? As stated above, probably need to larger water changes.

WendyFish

Members
Nitrate is in the 5-10ppm range. (I am a girl but must be a slightly defective one -- I can't figure out what yellowish-orange that is closer to. :D)

WendyFish

Members
Wrapping this up, thanks for the advice from everyone. Wednesdays are now fast day, and we upped yesterday's water change to half. Maybe I am imagining things (I could totally have psychosomatic issues on behalf of my fish) but they seem more hyper (in a good way) today as well. Appreciate all your thoughts!