• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

"Mulm's" the word...

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
I remember as a kid reading fish books. Some were my dad's (yeah, he was a fish geek, too..it's genetic!), others were from the library, or my own growing collection. Most were from the late 1950s and 1960's, because that was when the bulk of the major, amazing books on tropical fishes were published up until that point. They were magical. It was a "Golden Age" for the tropical fish hobby, for sure. And you could sense it just by reading these charming books.

I read every book, from cover to cover. Memorized every passage. Savored every image. Studied each caption.

One word I remember seeing in many of these books was "mulm." It was a funny word. A sort of a catch-all expression for "stuff" that accumulates at the bottom of an aquarium. It was- is- quite appropriate and descriptive!(click to read more)