• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

mouth stuck open?

TMSB805

Members
Yesterday I noticed one of my female nourisatti wouldn't/couldnt close her mouth. She swims and eats fine. Looked inside and there's nothing stuck. Anyone ever encounter something like this.

Only from my wife. .....nag nag nag! Sorry wish I had something constructive or helpful to add.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reed

Very Fishe
I have 6 inch sunshine male that I have had for years and his mouth is stuck open. The He has no problem eating or defending himself. I think he may have broken by swimming into the glass but I am guessing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
The nickname is "duck lip". It can be caused for a variety of reasons and is usually permanent. Back when I was keeping flowerhorns, my favorite male ended up with this. Not sure why, he was not aggressive toward the glass and was not skittish at all. I could gently press it back into place, but it would pop right out again. As long as your fish is able to eat, I would not be concerned.

TMSB805

Members
Andrew i've always thought "duck lips" was actually caused by some type of bacteria infection which in turn caused the lips to actually swell.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Andrew i've always thought "duck lips" was actually caused by some type of bacteria infection which in turn caused the lips to actually swell.

It can be caused by ligament/tendon damage as well. The lips don't swell but protrude like a yawn that never ends.