• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

More Eagle Pix

Went to the dam this morning in hopes of having better light and closer opportunities. Me and the other fifteen or so photographers were pleased with the show and conditions.

Between 8:00 and 10:00 just a few sporadic photo opportunities. But the next hour was unbelievable. Many of the regulars said it was the best action they have seen in a long time.

While most of the mature birds stayed out of my range, the immatures weren't shy at all. Sometimes actually flying so close that I couldn't fit them in the frame.

Here are some shots I have already processed. Hopefully most of you won't be bored with non fish photos. :smile:

Immature eagles...
2ddCnowngo110407.jpg

2ccCnowngo110407.jpg

2bb2Cnowngo110407.jpg

This is not a heavy crop...just too close.
2bbCnowngo110407.jpg

Here is sequence of an adult going fishing. The first shot shows the bird a couple hundred yards away and up spotting for fish. The following photos show it tolling to drop straight down and then sweeping the fish from the water.
2ee1Cnowngo110407.jpg

2ee2Cnowngo110407.jpg

2ee3Cnowngo110407.jpg

2ee4Cnowngo110407.jpg

2ee5Cnowngo110407.jpg

2ee6Cnowngo110407.jpg

2ee7Cnowngo110407.jpg

2ee8Cnowngo110407.jpg

A different one after catching a fish.
2aaCnowngo110407.jpg

Hope you enjoy the occasional "fish photo" here. :rolleyes:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Wow, Bobby. One day I will have to run up there and look at them. No lens for capturing them, but would still just like to watch them.

Well worth the trip Pat.

Now that the days are getting shorter, it is tough for most folks to get there during peak time when the dam is drawing water to supplement power demand. Early morning or dinner time (it's too dark now for the latter).

cyradis4

Members
Wow!!!!

I LOVE them!

Would you mind if I used pic two for a wall paper on my home computer? I love eagles! But I don't want to use a pic with out permission, even where no one else will see it. (can't you tell I'm a grad student and teaching assistant? can't plagiarize!)

I think I might also get out to that place at some point.... Maybe I'll wait till spring though.....

Later!
Amanda.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Its only 10 minutes for me. I go by all the time but always seem to be in a hurry and never look.

DeeCee

Members
Awesome shots., Bobby. I love the fishing sequence! Almost makes me feel like I was there! Thanks for sharing those!

DC

Spine

Members
I like the pictures Bobby. I told my dad about them and he want to go take a look. We are going to be using binoculars what is the best location for this.

Kevin, If you know where the Conowingo Dam is, the park is at the foot of the southeast side of the dam. Off of RT 1, turn onto Shureslanding Rd. There is a small tackle shop where you turn to go down to the park along the river.

You can park anywhere in the lot and see the action. Look for photographers and you'll find the eagles. There is also a nature trail you can walk along the river. Besides the eagles, there are all sorts of gulls, ducks, heron, etc. The rocky shorline along the park is usually lined with fishermen catching catfish and rockfish.

You and your dad will enjoy it it for sure.

mscichlid

Founder
Great shots Bobby. That spot is on my list to hit for shooting. I want to get my teleconverter first, though, Did you use yours? Which do you have?

Thanks Francine.

All shots were with the D200 and the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR and the 1.7 TCII. But, you need a longer lens to get the good stuff. A good 300mm with at least a 1.4 tc is the minimum IMO. Most of the photographers are using 500mm lenses. And they are all Canon shooters. Big problem with the mature Bald Eagles is blowing out their heads in the sun against a white cloud. ISO is important here.

...and here are a just two more of a immature successfully catching his/her own meal. Usually they are not very good fishermen from what I have seen.

Looking for a fish...
4bbEagle110607.jpg

And scooping one very little fish...
4aaEagle110607.jpg

Thanks Donna. The youngin's don't mind getting close to people (they haven't aquired the fear yet). This one actually flew from the trees behind me. It was on top of me and took me by surprise. I was able to get the one quick shot and then it dropped down into the river to get that little fish. It's a shame that the adults seldom come in this close. The light was good and the sky was blue with a few clouds. This was a cold, windy day and I was only able to get a shot of this eagle and a couple gulls. But then again, I was only there for about an hour on this visit. There were a couple photographers that were camped out there since 7:00 AM. I got there about 2:00 and was on my way home by 3:00 and they were still there :smile: