• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

More Daniel's Fish

Buscheri1.jpg

Buscheri2.jpg

Buscheri3.jpg

DCohens2a.jpg

Tropheus3.jpg

Tropheus2.jpg

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
May sound funny, but I like #2.
Looks like he is looking at you and wants
something.
They all look great.

D

daniel4832

Bobby,
Wow,as usual great shots! I love the pictures of the "Tanzanite" Fronts, can really see the blue in the male, and great shot of the female holding. I think I'm going to have to write up an article just to see those pictures in print :D
With Mike's DIY talk in Feb. and your's in March, have some great meetings to look forward to!
Thanks again,
Daniel
PS To the person who bailed out on Bobby yesterday, thanks, and boy did you miss an oppurtunity!!!

mscichlid

Founder
The last one is the moneyshot for me. Albeit the backgrounds do give you a sense of the animal's environment, it does have a tendency to pull the eye. But gosh darn it, those shots are dead-on exposures! How's that second SB 800 working for you! Ha! B)

I don't like the angled shots too much. Except the fifth one. I would crop the hell out of it and adjust the curves a bit. It's a keeper.

Good work as usual. Can't wait for your talk.

Let it be known that Daniel is great breeder of fish. As far as maintenance and preparation for aquatic photography, lets just say... Daniel is a great breeder of fish. :blink:

During my talk in March I have to remember to spend more time discussing the importance of "preparation". I won't go into details here, but the better prepared the tank is, the better the odds for getting that special capture.

Dan actually was better prepared for me on this visit than the first time. But, I still had to spend three to five times longer than I would normally. Shooting my own tanks, I think more about spending less time in post editing. Advantage is that I can always just go back and shoot the subject again.

I didn't have my "A" game going in. So I ended up keeping some shots that weren't quite up to snuff. :rolleyes: So more time cleaning up was necessary.

Francine, as for the two SB800s. I only used them in tandem as one group. The neat thing about that is on the bigger tanks, I can spread them apart to increase the flash zone. Not only side by side, but also front to back. On the smaller tanks, I could have one sitting on top of seperate tanks and bounce back and forth as the oppurtunity arose.

I didn't experiment with any frontal flash here. I was thinking about trying it on a couple situations when the subjects were under leaves, but as I said, I didn't bring the "A" game to the field on this session. So I wasn't up to having the patience for experimenting too much.

I'll probably add at least one more to my bag in the next few weeks. Can't have too many remote flashes. Especially in the field shoots. :D

D

daniel4832

Bobby,
That is the best back handed compliment I have ever recieved :blink:
Thanks,
Daniel

craby

Members
In Daniel's defense, I commend him for having the quantity of tanks he has set up. It must be grueling to clean all those tanks. But I guess one would have the time if retired. I think what you do would be of real interest to me if I had the time and room for it all.

One thing I wished I had done for my photo shoot is prepare earlier. I had done my water change the night before Bobby came, but did not clean the glass until just before he came over which left the fish alittle spooked as I do not do it too often.

Also, I wished I would have had the lights on for an hour before he came over. I turned on the lights when he came, which wasted some time while we waited for the fish to wake up.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I think your right. I did water the day before. Left lights on a couple of hours ahead and
cleaned the glass about an hour before. Seemed to do okay. At least Bobby did not complain.
Most of my fish are used to me messing with the tanks so they were not really spooked too much.
The flash bothered them some. I am trying to get them used to that. I took 63 pics of one tank
last night. Pair mating. None came out well enough to use. I deleted all. But the flash did not interupt them. They seem to be used to it more now that I do it all the time.

And Daniel. Beautiful fish.....Your shots look more realistic than my tanks do.

Luke, I think your tank was in "okay" condition when I arrived. We just had to wait for the fish to come out. Sometimes, as in many cases over Daniels, they never come out to pose. That's part of the frustration of aquatic photography. Kinda like fishing. Much patience is required. :D

Pat, you were the best prepared so far to date. I felt very comfortable in your fishroom. Your tanks were clean and well lit. Made my job a little easier. :D

So you shot over 60 efforts without any keepers? What's that all about? We'll have to discuss this over at the members photo/workshop forum. <_<

D

daniel4832

My tanks are set up for breeding rather then "show", at this point (I have two fish rooms and I'm in the process of turning one room into "show" tanks, while the other room will stay as my "working" tanks). While I do water changes at least once a week - some fry tanks are done twice a week - I have not worried about the "looks" of the tanks. I let the algae grow and use low illumination shop lights for my tanks, but after seeing the difference of what my fish look like in my tanks, as compared to how they look in a "show" tank, or Bobby's pictures, I want some show tanks. The final "straw" was Bobby's pictures of fry that I had sold to Luke, I had to double check with Luke that they had been my fry because of how different they looked in his beautifully set up tank, as compared to the breeding tanks that they came out of. I hope to have Bobby out in a couple of months to take pictures of my "show" tanks.
Thanks,
Daniel

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I know what you mean. I got my new 150 on saturday and am torn between grow out space and
show. I am thinking about like I am doing with my 90. A lot of one type of fish for grow out but still have gravel, rocks and plants. Just will not be the same though. Not as nice. But the grow out space......
Torn between two lovers. I mean two loves. Breeding and show.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Bobby,
I was shooting the Ngara albino. The problem was the male had dug a pit and piled the gravel up to the front of the tank.
I tried to shoot the breeding but the angle was bad. I was shooting down too much. Warped everything out. I did not want to stop incase I got something usable but that did not happen.
I did not want to move the gravel because I wanted more babies. I know, just what I need, more fry.
I was afraid they would not come out but thats the good thing about digital. No wasted film. Just time.
:smash: