• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Missing Red Zebra?

kraiz

Members
Hey guys, i had a red zebra in my tank the other day and he's been missing for a few days now. He was about 3 inches, too big to be eaten by my other fish... My tank just cleared up from re-decorating and i don't want to mess things up trying to find him. Will he become plant food if hes dead somewhere or will it be a major problem? 100 gallon tank with cascade 1500 canister filter live sand and 22 fish...

fischfan13

Banned
Hey guys, i had a red zebra in my tank the other day and he's been missing for a few days now. He was about 3 inches, too big to be eaten by my other fish... My tank just cleared up from re-decorating and i don't want to mess things up trying to find him. Will he become plant food if hes dead somewhere or will it be a major problem? 100 gallon tank with cascade 1500 canister filter live sand and 22 fish...

You better strip that tank and look for the zebra.
If the fish is dead and left alone you can get a spike in ammonia, or even worse if the fish died from some type of disease you want to stop that disease from spreading thru the others picking at it for lunch.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
^^^^^ I'd do that.

That is a sizable fish and could mess things up. Check the floor for jerky?

What else is in the tank? It could be gone already....

kraiz

Members
^^^^^ I'd do that.

That is a sizable fish and could mess things up. Check the floor for jerky?

What else is in the tank? It could be gone already....

7 tiger barbs, 1 columbian shark, pleco, 3 jack dempseys, 1 compressicepts, 2 acei, 1 tropheus morri, 2 spotted eels, 1 more red zebra, yellow lab, clown loach, and a borelei....

iamzrad

Members
Wow, what a crazy mix!
Like Bill and Tony said, check the tank and surrounding floor area in case you had a jumper. Don't leave it be.

kraiz

Members
****... i have a sandy substrate so everytime i remove plants and rocks the sand goes into the water and makes it cloudy.... It JUST cleared up yesterday. Oh well i geuss you gotta do what you gotta do. I was hoping he'd just get eaten by the fish and live sand.

iamzrad

Members
You're using live sand?
Pool filter sand is so much easier and once it settles, it settles and doesn't really move when disturbed.

kraiz

Members
You're using live sand?
Pool filter sand is so much easier and once it settles, it settles and doesn't really move when disturbed.

****... i wish i knew that. I really dont want to redo my tank now tho. I finally got everything settled and stuff. I'm not going to change the substrate. Maybe next time!

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I don't think your live sand is live anymore in freshwater. Technically, all sand is live in an established tank; but with salt it's got different critters in it. There's a good chance some of those fish will dig and churn up the sand as they get bigger. How long has the tank been setup?

kraiz

Members
I don't think your live sand is live anymore in freshwater. Technically, all sand is live in an established tank; but with salt it's got different critters in it. There's a good chance some of those fish will dig and churn up the sand as they get bigger. How long has the tank been setup?

about 2 months. Its just argonite, i figured it was live sand...