• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mini Survey:Water Changes...

bschuhart

Members
After a water change in a fresh water Aquarium, do you:

#1. Add water (at the correct temp & using Water Conditioner added to the tank) directly from the tap to the tank.

#2. Put the tap water in another container, then add Water Conditioner, then add it to the tank.

If #1 was your answer, do you:

A. Add enough Water Conditioner to cover the entire volume on the tank.

B. Add enough Water Conditioner to cover just the volume of new tap water added.

My answer is 1B. Except when doing a Marine Aquarium.

bertolli

Members
1b, im not totally accurate with temp but the fish don't seem to mind. With my mbunas adding significantly colder water in a 10-20% WC seems to encourage mating.

bschuhart

Members
So the answer to part 2 is tied. So is it neccessary to add Water Conditioner to the entire tank volume or just to the new added water? Are some of us wasting our Water Conditioner?

mchambers

Former CCA member
1A

Seachem recommends that when you add the conditioner to the tank (rather than the new water), you dose for the full tank. I'm not convinced this is necessary, but Prime is cheap.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I use method #3 d. If you use any variation of #1 I hope your water changes are small. You do run the risk of burning the gills of your fish if you have city water. Many hobbiests laugh at my warnings but you are probably shortening the lives of your fish and hurting their gills every time you do a water change.

I know you don't want to hear it but your fish would love #2. Boy that sounds awful, doesn't it! #3 involves letting that container sit for awhile.

No offence meant, they are your fish and you are my friends (I hope).

George

bschuhart

Members
I use method #3 d. If you use any variation of #1 I hope your water changes are small. You do run the risk of burning the gills of your fish if you have city water. Many hobbiests laugh at my warnings but you are probably shortening the lives of your fish and hurting their gills every time you do a water change.

I know you don't want to hear it but your fish would love #2. Boy that sounds awful, doesn't it! #3 involves letting that container sit for awhile.

No offence meant, they are your fish and you are my friends (I hope).

George

Point well taken, that's why we have forums. Do you think running it through a charcoal filter (whole house kind as used in water treatment) would work, should remove the clorine. I used to use one before my Deionization unit when I had a reef tank, was told (by a water treatment pro) it would make the deionization resin last longer before recharging.

danbalzer

Members
I used to use method #3d that George advocates, but switched over to #1b, using a Python, when I started with a bigger tank. I'd switch back to #3d, but I'm not sure my shoulders can handle doing clean & jerk lifts of 5 gal. buckets anymore. But I do need to go to smaller, more frequent water changes.

Dan

finzz

Members
Straight from the tap to the tank with no conditioner, but I'm on a well and mix with rain water for softer water species. After reading this thread, I start to realize how lucky I am!