• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mikey Has Pikes Too...

1ePike012708.jpg

1dPike012708.jpg

1cPike012708.jpg

1bPike012708.jpg

1aPike012708.jpg

Well, the last few years in GWAPA I have known Franny as a pike first others second kind of lady and never really understood the fascination other than the cigar shaped bodies being pretty cool. Seeing that set of pikes in the photos really shows how beautiful those fish are. I especiallly am impressed with the photo showing the deep orange covering almost half of the fish's side. Pretty amazing how sharp their colors are and I think more impressive because of the dull areas.....it gives the real colors pop to have that background. That and the fish look like they will eat all comers makes them spectacular.

maddog10

Members
I got these fish from Francine (via the CCA mini auction).

Rob since you noticed the red/orange side I will take this opportunity to educate.
The females are the ones that get that red side/belly and they also have a white margin on the dorsal and caudal fins (Bobby caught this right away). They will grow to somewhere between 12"-14", so mine still have a little bit of growing to do. They will eat almost anything. I mostly feed NLS pellets, but will throw some fry, from other fish, in on occassion. I really liked the bright orange coloration when they were juvies and thought they were going to grow into big ugly fish. I was wrong, they are very stunning in person and the subtle green/red/orange coloration is spectacular. Bobby did a good job of catching these colors. Francine has been teaching me some tricks to try to see if I can get them to spawn, it is going to be my spring project!

longstocking

Members
I didn't like pikes for along time. Last time I was up a Julies I was trying to take pictures for her. No light ... very hard place to shoot fish.

Apistos... they are hard has heck to shoot ! Tangs I found easy but that's probably because I keep them.

Pikes... man they were fun to shoot ! Very curious about the light and very smart as Francine said. Fun fish to shoot pictures of and they pose for you too boot !

Great pics bobby !

DeeCee

Members
Same here, Sarah. Every time I thought of Pikes though, I thought "NORTHERN" and how good they tasted....... (sorry!)

These are beautiful fish, aren't they?

DC

Same here, Sarah. Every time I thought of Pikes though, I thought "NORTHERN" and how good they tasted....... (sorry!)[/b]

Waaayyy too boney. BUT, when I use to spend more time fishin' than playing with camera stuff, I had a friend that belonged to the meat cutters union. He was a fisherman too. He loved the taste of Northern Pike. And he knew how to fillet them. You're right Donna, a sweet fish for sure. :wink: But of course, nothing to do with these pikes....sorry for the comments folks. :(

Sonny Disposition

If they're anything like chain pickerels, they're great but have too many little y-shaped bones. Filleting them must be a challenge. (I could never figure out how to do it.).

The best freshwater fish are bullheads--black, brown or yellow. Their flesh is pink, almost like a salmon. I'd rate them higher than channel cats or rainbow trout. You have to get them from a clean lake or river, otherwise they taste muddy.

Same here, Sarah. Every time I thought of Pikes though, I thought "NORTHERN" and how good they tasted....... (sorry!)[/b]

Waaayyy too boney. BUT, when I use to spend more time fishin' than playing with camera stuff, I had a friend that belonged to the meat cutters union. He was a fisherman too. He loved the taste of Northern Pike. And he knew how to fillet them. You're right Donna, a sweet fish for sure. :wink: But of course, nothing to do with these pikes....sorry for the comments folks. :(
[/b]