• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Meeting Speakers and Topics

What kinds of speakers do you want (multiple choices permitted)

• Big name speakers

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Club members

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Practical fishkeeping topics ("how to")

Votes: 35 59.3%
  • Overview of a type of fish topics (e.g. "Thoricthys" or "Mbuna"))

• Old World Cichlid Topics

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • New World Cichlid Topics

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • Catfish Topics

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Non-Cichlid Topics

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Fish Collecting Trip Topics

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Conservation / Preservation Topics

• Doesn't matter - It's all good

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Doesn't Matter - Get to the auction already!

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Hands on / workshop activities

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Other - please describe

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
We've still only had 30 votes out of a couple of hundred members (and lots of other folks who aren't members but come to meetings / use the forum)...

I'd hate to draw conclusions based on such a small sample but if folks can't be bothered to vote or weigh in, then I guess it's their fault!

Matt

Based on forum activity since last week, I think many people are either out of town or on some form of vacation. That could easily include a vacation from the CCA forum. I think activity will increase after the ball drops.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Could be...thanks to those who have voted!

Matt

Based on forum activity since last week, I think many people are either out of town or on some form of vacation. That could easily include a vacation from the CCA forum. I think activity will increase after the ball drops.

I really enjoyed Tony's talk with the extra information about the culture and country, not just fish. So something like that from someone who has collected in a different place.

I also very much enjoyed the meeting where two or three members walked us through their fish rooms. I'd like to see that again. I'd like it if one of those included those of us with much smaller set-ups.

I'd like a tips and tricks talk. I only recently found how to do drop a pump in my trash can of aging water and hooking it to a python. Someone looked at me like I had two heads when I said I hadn't realized people did this for wter changes. So stuff like that might be fun and useful.

I'd love a speaker from the Amazonia exhibit at the zoo to talk about how they do that, how it's run, how they get fish, etc.

Can we have someone from GWAPA talk about planted tanks -- how to do them simply without C02, for instance?

I'd love a speaker about synodontis

Also, I didn't pick "big name speakers" as I'm not sure what that covers. I thought Dave was a great speaker. I also really enjoyed the guy who bred all types of cories. Don't know if either are considered "big name."

dogofwar

CCA Members

mchambers

Former CCA member
I don't particularly care about the big names. Some are great, like Shane, while others tend to know a lot, but sometimes get lost in the duckweed, if you will.

dogofwar

CCA Members
That would be great (in my opinion) - sort of like the BAP presentations - though, we'd need some volunteers to put them together...

Something that would be great would be a "how to" handout to take away for each!

Matt

I must have missed it, unfortunately. You could have two or three speakers, each covering different types of food.

spazmattik

Members
I agree with MC that a food presentation would be cool. Culters, DIY pellets/flake, worm bins, feeder fish. ;)

Holly has some great ones listed. I really like the idea of tips and tricks. Anything DIY would be cool.

madcobra216

Members
I'm looking fwd to the meeting in January, not sure if this topic was already covered, but a presentation on "Common parasites, illnesses & there cures" would be very beneficial & informative.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good suggestion and see you at the Jan meeting!

Matt

I'm looking fwd to the meeting in January, not sure if this topic was already covered, but a presentation on "Common parasites, illnesses & there cures" would be very beneficial & informative.

blkmjk

Members
I agree seems like I've lost a lot of fish desperately attempting to medicate a lone sick fish. I know a quarantine tank is important for this but identifying the disease is the hardest part IMO. And then selecting the appropriate medication.

I would enjoy a presentation on target fish for aggressive cichlids.

As well as presentation on at home food culture.

And I am also a fan of a CCA house crawl. Where members can travel by caravan from fish room to fish room and check out how other people keep their setups.

I would also be in favor of a support the local fish store day again. I missed the last one. Still kicking myself for that.

And maybe a presentation on pulling off a biotope setup.

And a basic how to build your own sump system.

Food for thought.

Drew

I was going to suggest the same thing last night but since I am to far away to attend I figured my input would be unfair. I may however make the trip for a presentation on this topic. I never worry about disease till it hits then I kick myself repeatedly and say I will never do this again! With all the contradicting info out there I would love to hear a "no BS" expert presentation.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Beeman

Members
A presentation on live foods might be good.
+1
And perhaps an in depth education into bio, mech., chemical filtration? We are a diverse group indeed! We have those that employ every available option where filtration is concerned. We also have many that use the most simple, sponge filtration ONLY! And it seems most are successful with their chosen method. How about we get down to the real deal science that affects each method? I think we could occupy more than an hour or few weighing in on this one! Just my 2 1/2 cents worth!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
We have those that employ every available option where filtration is concerned. We also have many that use the most simple, sponge filtration ONLY! And it seems most are successful with their chosen method.

It all dep on the level of work you want to do. More equipment makes maintenance easier and less time spent with tanks; while simple systems work but means more time with your tanks changing water cleaning sponges etc...
Some people love doing all that and i personally enjoy it.
I think we could occupy more than an hour or few weighing in on this one! Just my 2 1/2 cents worth!
I think that's a topic that can be spoken about for hours.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
The biggest surprise to me so far is the lack of interest in Old World Cichlid topics...basically outpaced 2 to 1 by interest in catfish topics and more than 2 to 1 by interest in New World Cichlid speakers...

Thoughts?

Matt

Spine

Members
The biggest surprise to me so far is the lack of interest in Old World Cichlid topics...basically outpaced 2 to 1 by interest in catfish topics and more than 2 to 1 by interest in New World Cichlid speakers...

Thoughts?

Matt

Makes sense to me:D

rich_one

Members

Thoughts?

Matt

Time for some increased New World love in 2014! LOL...

-Rich