• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mbunas and peacocks

fishman13

Members
Honestly. Can you keep peacocks and mbunas togeather if their are tons of rocks and some open areas for swimming?

dogofwar

CCA Members
It depends on the type(s) of mbuna that you keep...really nasty ones will likely cause problems.

Matt

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
In a large tank it can be done but as Matt said, avoid the really nasty ones and pick two types with a similar temperament.

For instance I'd never mix sulferhead or blue orchid peacocks with most any mbuna because they would be bullied.

I also wouldn't mix Jakes with mellow mbuna. If its a display tank, the choices aren't as critical, but if you want breeding to occur, planning will go a long way. Mixing anything can lead to hybridization, so be careful unless you want to start an OB peacock breeding project...

Diet is an issue some people avoid mixing them. Mbuna need a veggie based diet, whereas peacocks need a higher protein diet. Of course you can feed everyone NLS if you want to keep it simple.

No problem with labs, rusties and acei with most peacocks/haps (except for the aforementioned sulfurheads and blue orchids). I've not personally tried with other mbuna. I ended up not liking the mix, however. For some reason the mbuna negatively affected the "fung shui" of my previous peacock tank from an aesthetic perspective, not from aggression issues.

toddnbecka

Members
I have 5 adult maingano in a 75 with probably 2 dozen ruby red peacocks, most are still young. Also have perlmutts and a single williamsi in another 75 with ruby reds, catfish and BN in both tanks too, no apparent issues among them.

rich_one

Members
I have male labs and a male acei with a variety of male peacocks and haps in a 125, no problems. I even have a venustus in there... still, no problems! (Incidentally, my three faves have become my OB peacock, my venustus, and my two blue dolphins)! LOL...

-Rich

neut

Members
It can be done but how well it works in each case depends on a lot of variables, including tank size and setup, particular species, numbers of each species, whether or not there are females in the mix and the individual fish.

You have to be ready and willing to make changes if needed to move troublemakers, etc, but that goes with the territory with Malawis, anyway, not just mbuna. And sometimes it's a male of one of the supposedly more peaceful species in the mix turns out to be the psycho fish.

Can happen with some peacocks, for example, which are often described as relatively peaceful, but, especially if you have female peacocks in the tank, you never know. After many years of keeping and/or breeding dozens of Malawi species, I can tell you that every so often you get a peacock male that's half nuts with aggression and you just have to move him out if you want any (relative) peace in the tank.

fishman13

Members
The mbunas i have are still juvies. Like 3-1/2in.
1 red zebra
yellow labs
1 male hongi
couple rusties
All in a 40 breeder

fischfan13

Banned
The mbunas i have are still juvies. Like 3-1/2in.
1 red zebra
yellow labs
1 male hongi
couple rusties
All in a 40 breeder

One of these and one of those will not work out in the long run, and it will be twice as worse in the 3' long tank. That Hongi might cross with the Yellow Lab, and the Yellow Lab might cross with that Red Zebra.
Go for a single species tank and maybe something other than Mbuna if it's in a tank that small.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
You have to be ready and willing to make changes if needed to move troublemakers, etc, but that goes with the territory with Malawis, anyway, not just mbuna. And sometimes it's a male of one of the supposedly more peaceful species in the mix turns out to be the psycho fish.

Can happen with some peacocks, for example, which are often described as relatively peaceful, but, especially if you have female peacocks in the tank, you never know. After many years of keeping and/or breeding dozens of Malawi species, I can tell you that every so often you get a peacock male that's half nuts with aggression and you just have to move him out if you want any (relative) peace in the tank.

^^^ Sound advice.

I have a few setups where I've mixed peacocks with mbuna in 40 breeders or 50s (75 footprint, but shorter). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the size of the tank, configuration of the decor, species (and numbers introduced) and relative size of the haps/peacocks vs the mbuna.

As the post above says, having a "plan B" is a must when trying out these combos.

killakacti

Members
I am currently keeping mbunas with haps in a 5' by 18''(110g). I started out with all juvies and as my tank is maturing i am starting to see my mbuna really domanating my haps.

even my smallest mbuna, cynotilipia afra is starting to chase my largest protomelas taeniolatus around.

soon i am going to have to decide what direction i am going to go wether it be mbuna or haps/peacocks.

not saying dont experiment, just sharing the current enviroment in my tank.

fishman13

Members
ok. thanks guys
Tony you said the something about the decor?
Are you talking about how much decor is in their or what type of decor i have in the 40 breeder?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
ok. thanks guys
Tony you said the something about the decor?
Are you talking about how much decor is in their or what type of decor i have in the 40 breeder?

Lots of rocks/caves to hide in. Maybe a couple of tall plastic plants or tall rocks (plastic plants are easier) as sight breaks.

fishman13

Members
Tall rocks? Why would the peacocks need that? An their are so many rocks and caves in this tank Its hard for me to clean the sand. :lol::lol::lol:. So caves arent a prob. Thats why i have been posting a lot of willing to trade or buy peacoks or mbynas from people so i can make my tank more like a rainbow:D:lol::angel2:

verbal

CCA Members
ohhhhhhhhh.... so can i get a male ruby or empress peacok and add it to the tank then?

A male ruby red peacock should be ok.

If you are referring to Red Empress, they generally not too aggressive, but they will get too big for your tank.

Have you moved or gotten rid of the Hongi? that is the first step with the tank you mentioned.