• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mass murderer

KRUCIAN KING

Members
I just wanted to let everyone know I have been fighting bba in my planted 72 bow tank for a month now. Last night I read an article in the planted tank forum about adding h2o2 to kill this invasive algae. So I added (too much) believe it or not the algae just started falling apart, boy was I elated. That was around 10 pm checked my water parameters ammonia 0ppm, nitrate 0, nitrite o, ph 7.5 temp 82, by 6 am everything was dead except my 4 german rams. 10 neons, 4 hatchets, 3 bronze cories, 6 albino cories, 3 ottos. plus the plants look like the just melted away. I am just in shock, I am at the moment taking it down for cleaning I am so broken and angry at myself.

sabbath

Members
I think that using h2o2 is supposed to be for a defined period of time, and then a large water change. While you may have added too much, you probably left it in too long as well.

Spine

Members
Sorry to hear about the loss of fish. We had a speaker that talked about using Hydrogen peroxide to raise the oxygen levels in the tank. He said that 25ml per 26gallons of water could be used safely. I used to have a link to a site that had a chart, I'll try and find it.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Better living through chemistry...

Sorry to hear about the loss of fish. We had a speaker that talked about using Hydrogen peroxide to raise the oxygen levels in the tank. He said that 25ml per 26gallons of water could be used safely. I used to have a link to a site that had a chart, I'll try and find it.

72 gallon tank, figure 10% displacement from substrate etc., call it 65 gallons of water with 1 oz. H2O2 per 26 gallons and that comes out to 2.5 ozs. As they say in technical parlance, Ooops. Personally I think as penance you should have to change your screen name to 'Shiva' for 90 days

I have bilingual Bolivian Rams, Java moss, water sprite and some other plants that I suspect are not innoculated with hair algae since it has notshown up in any of my tanks and which I will happy to bring to the next meeting for you. Come now lads/lassies, whom else can contribute to the reconstitution of this wayward lad's aspiring aquatic fantasies/adventures/felonies?

"Creative dominion is thine".*
— Freshwater Paradigms, Chapter 1, Volume I, Encyclopedia Aquatica

* The corollary to this as is discussed in the venerable text is the converse, i.e., that the Keeper as the arbiter of fate may visit desolation and ruin upon the Kept and so uncreate, either willfully or more often involuntarily.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sorry to hear that as well. I've had good luck keeping 1-2 Siamese algae eaters in the planted 45 to take care of BBA. You need to get them in there early though, when there is no BBA, otherwise, they won't be able to keep up.

Those and otocinclus cats for green algae work pretty well as natural control.