• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Marina hang on holding/breeding box: It works!!!

Forester

Members
Hey everyone i just put 3 different shipment of fish into the box and it works really well! It was easy to put together and it keeps the fish separated so i dont have to worry about dividing them in the morning. I rubberbanded some filter foam stuff around where the water comes in to stop the dirt from getting through. Feel free to post photos of yours box working. Lets see the many uses we can come up with for them!!!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1368363293587.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1368363353631.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1368363366755.jpg

Forester

Members
Sent frsame its loud if its on ful blast i turned it down and it was quieter.
om my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Anyone else experiencing and issue with surface tension preventing water flowing through the small grate that goes across the outflow from the box? I've tried both gates and both cause the water level in the box to rise until it spills over the top of the gate instead of water running through the slots.

Based on the reduced number of fry in the box and the way the fish in the main tank swim around waiting for a snack to come swimming into the tank, I've definitely lost a few fry to them flowing over the grate.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Anyone else experiencing and issue with surface tension preventing water flowing through the small grate that goes across the outflow from the box? I've tried both gates and both cause the water level in the box to rise until it spills over the top of the gate instead of water running through the slots.

Based on the reduced number of fry in the box and the way the fish in the main tank swim around waiting for a snack to come swimming into the tank, I've definitely lost a few fry to them flowing over the grate.

Bummer dude. I haven't opened mine yet, but may have a chance to mess with it tonight. When I was over at her house last week, I saw that Christine has a bunch running and didn't mention that problem.

The addition of dish soap will likely break the surface tension though. ;)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've replaced the grate with some foam, as someone suggested in another thread.

I tried both foam from an AC70 and filter floss. Both caused the water level to rise until it spilled over the top of the box. Maybe I have it set up incorrectly.:confused:

chriscoli

Administrator
I actually cut the mesh off of one of my old breeder nets and then I wrap that around the gate. It does clog (and you get spillover) but if I pull it out and swizzle it in the main tank every 2 or 3 days, it doesn't seem to overflow.

I imagine a cut up piece of pantyhose would work, too.

Also, I've already lost a few of my little gates. I've found that you can cut some of that flexible plastic canvas mesh stuff you can get at Michaels to fit. it's nearly the same thickness as the gate, so it fits in the slot nicely.

If you have trouble getting the little gate to fit back in with the netting wrapped around it, the plastic canvas mesh gives you a little more wiggle room so it actually fits better in the end.

Greengirl

Members

I had that problem, but my angel fry were too small and fit right through the grate, then I wrapped the grate and the water flowed over the top. I now wrap panty hose around a divider and stuck it in the slot before the grate so no one gets through. I keep the water pressure on the lower quiter side and now I have no problems. But what you described is how I lost my entire group of fry.

Becca

Members
I had that problem, but my angel fry were too small and fit right through the grate, then I wrapped the grate and the water flowed over the top. I now wrap panty hose around a divider and stuck it in the slot before the grate so no one gets through. I keep the water pressure on the lower quiter side and now I have no problems. But what you described is how I lost my entire group of fry.

Finally! A use for panty-hose! I might try those on the little Azoo filter I have running on my shrimp tank. I dropped the intake cover and stepped on it :)wacko: d'oh) - the chunk of filter-pad I shoved in there to keep the shrimp safe clogs pretty quickly.

I find that using a Fluval Edge filter (the spongy, circular one) works well as a pre-filter on the intakes of my nano HOBs. I'm hoping that I can use them for the Marina breeder boxes.

Arlene

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
Homemade breeder box

They look nice. Attached are some pics of my newly homemade breeder box. I used an old aqua clear filter box which will sit inside of my tank. I presently have 2 cyp's holding and L. daffodil fry all in a community tank.

image.jpg