• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Make me feel better about my water change

Wblaze

Members
So I just did a 1/3 water change in my 55g tank. It had been 2 weeks since my last water change since I was out for surgery. Normally I use my aqueon python thing to take the water out and then buckets to put water in. Well today i used the python thing for both. To protect against clorine in tap water I used one capful of prime before I added the new water. Is this the way to do it? Should I be OK in the tank or did I potentially let too much clorine in my doing it this way

londonloco

Members
I do 1mL per gallon for the entire tank (not just the amount of water I change). One capful is 5mL, so your good. I don't use Prime anymore, I use Seachem Safe. Saw a post (by Tony I think), it's Prime in powder form. MUCH MUCH less $$. I've been using it on 7 tanks for 6 months now, think I still ahve 3/4 of the jar left.

londonloco

Members
I don't, just measure it w/a teaspoon and dump it in. I might be doing it wrong, but my fish don't seem to care...

Hawkman2000

Members
You should be fine. I only use .5 mL per 5 gallons of Prime and never had a prob.

I would be more worried about the temp of the water that was added putting the fish into shock.

If their wasn't a prod within the first hour, you should be OK.

Shane

Members
This is my SOP as well. My only advice would be not to do a larger than 50% water change this way. With larger than 50% water changes the chlorine/chloramine can reach lethal levels (since it is less diluted by the volume of old water) before it is counteracted by your water conditioner. In areas with heavily treated tapwater, the percentage might be even smaller than 50%.
-Shane

mscichlid

Founder
I've done 50-90% straight from the tap on my 120 because that one tank would use all of my stored water. I just match the temp and get the Prime ready to deliver as soon as the refill starts.

Hawkman2000

Members
I picked up a few used heaters off CL to put in my 5g buckets to heat them up before changing. Some were free.

I also treat the water in the buckets when I fill them (salt, Prime, buffer) so its completely mixed before I pour them in.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Safe

I don't, just measure it w/a teaspoon and dump it in. I might be doing it wrong, but my fish don't seem to care...
I usually mix Safe in water before using it. In my experience, it doesn't always dissolve immediately. Also, one of the first times I used some of my fish looked stressed.

Dissolving it beforehand also makes it easier to use in small tanks. For example, I'll put a 1/4 teaspoon in a plastic jar, add water, and then use it for 3 20 gallon tanks.

ezrk

Members
We treat for the entire tank volume using Prime and then just fill, taking care to temperature match.

We also recently got a potable water safe hose (5/8") rather than using the python hose, has definitely improved the speed of the refill.

Buffer, salts, etc we just mix in a cup and put into the refill stream.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I change 50-75% weekly. I use Pond Prime (capful =100g). I add it to the tank before filling. I add for double the full tank volume. Maybe excess but it eases my mind.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App