• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

looking for any helpful hints for plumbing a sump tank

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
Will be plumbing from a center overflow (2x-1" drains, 2x-3/4" returns). Holes are located in bottom of tank/overflow. I plan on making my owe sump tank similar to a Herbie overflow. The 170G tank will house Malawi Cichlids. Looking for any advice, "tricks of the trade", best place to buy lock lines, plumbing materials, ETC.
Thanks

JLW

CCA Members
As Sam said, you can get most of your PVC stuff locally as long as it isn't too weird. One thing to make sure that you get good, if you're going to do a Herbie, though, is a gate valve. It is not the same as a ball valve. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/spears-gate-valve-slip-x-slip.html ... Yea, it's $50 but trust me, it'll be worth it when you want to dial Herb in and make the tank nice and quiet. If you don't care about a little noise, you can go cheaper, but ... get the fifty dollar one.

I use Rain-R-Shine PVC cement. It's bright blue, so I can tell if I forgot a joint right away. It also cures underwater and when wet, which is a plus. Make sure you dry fit your PVC fittings, and make sure you dry fit them properly. None of that "I mostly pushed it in and everything fit, and now it doesn't, what gives?" stuff. Its tough to get stuff apart, but worth it.

Invest in a good PVC cutter, too. :)

I also try to figure out where stuff will leak if it leaks. If it doesn't matter and its low pressure, I may not even glue it -- stuff inside the tank? Forget it, who cares!

I also position my bulkheads likewise. If I can (not always, but if I can) they're positioned over an open area of the sump. Not only will it minimise the risk of drips later, but when you need to eventually change a bulkhead, you just unscrew it, drain the overflow into the sump directly below, and go. No messing around with trying to maneuver a bucket into there.

Lastly, and most importantly -- if anyone tells you to glue your bulkheads, they're a moron, you should ignore everything they ever say, and you should use your ratcheting PVC cutter to ensure they no longer can pass such defective DNA onto future generations.

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
Thanks Sam and Josh. I was already looking into bulk reef suppy and watched a couple of videos. I have a nice pair of ratcheting PVC cutters from work. I like the blue glue idea and the other suggestions.

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
The bulkhead positioning is another great idea that I did not hear about.
One of the videos suggested using street elbows whenever possible and unions. Dry fitting is always a good idea— made mistakes before when not dry fitting. The videos also suggested gate valves. Sounds like you would suggest pvc over braided tubing. My current acrylic tank came with a homemade sump using braided tubing. Thanks for the build attachment, nice job and the tank looked great also-beautiful driftwood and set up.
what type of submersible pumps would you suggest? Type of media besides the Poret?".