• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking for a local store with a good plant selection.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I am looking for local store with a good plant selection. Down here in Southern Maryland we only have Petco and Petsmart which don't have much.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Congressional in Rockville has a decent selection, but not the cheapest. With Scales gone, Rick's might be your best bet as Lively said. It's a hike from southern MD, but their stuff is usually healthy.

maddog10

Members
GWAPA is the best source for plants in the area. They have more quality plants at a meeting than most stores stock.

DonkeyFish

Members
Way to pull your weight, Mike, and remember your "other" friends ;)

GWAPA meetings are NUTS with plants a lot of times you won't find in stores, for ridiculous prices (it's an auction, a lot of times we're practically GIVING things away) and usually someone will bring something that's along the lines of "you'll be the third person in the US to have this plant".

Plus, we're all nice folk :) and contrary to popular belief, we *do* keep fish too. We're not THAT geeky! LOL

iamzrad

Members
Do GWAPA meetings require membership?
I registered but I can only view like like 5% of the forum...

Meetings do not require membership but it is encouraged, and just like CCA, you can make your membership up in one auction at the reduced prices you end up paying on plants compared to other options.

ingg

Members
Do GWAPA meetings require membership?
I registered but I can only view like like 5% of the forum...

Forum rights are really restricted for non members, you can see a few of the forums, not post in any IIRC.

You don't need to join to check us out.

As Jen mentioned, we do keep fish too - and some neat little other things y'all would probably actually find interesting. Last Auction had a bag of 8 Cambarellus Shufeldtii, for instance, a really neat dwarf crayfish.

As far as plant selection goes, frankly, no store even comes close. It isn't meant to be an insult - there are literally hundreds of species of plants not commercially available, and several dedicated planted tank keepers with horrid cases of Collectoritis within our club. ;)

Scales probably came the closest as a store, mainly because a) Andrew knew plants and had an employee who did really well keeping them stocked, and b) he was and is a friend to GWAPA and we supplied him a bunch of plants too. If you bought Willow Hygro, E. Vesuvius, Crypt Spiralis, Crypt Willisii, and several others from him, odds are it came from one of our tanks. ;)