• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Look what made it into my house today....

I know I said simple but but perhaps I should've worded it differently by difference I meant difference in how its made. I assume starfire reflects the heat in which it was created being higher then regular glass. Is this the only difference?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thai

Members
I know I said simple but but perhaps I should've worded it differently by difference I meant difference in how its made. I assume starfire reflects the heat in which it was created being higher then regular glass. Is this the only difference?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Starphire is low iron low lead formula, doest have the green tiny regular glass has. I'm sure there's more to that process since it's much more expensive..the difference you can see for yourself

image.jpg

JLW

CCA Members
Nah, that's a ridiculous photo. Go drain one of your tanks and look at the glass, tell me if it looks "green" to you. I am firmly against the use of Starfire glass in the aquarium. It has to be treated like acrylic -- no "glass" algae pads, razor blades, magfloats, etc., only stuff labelled safe for acrylic. It scratches ridiculously easily, and -- unlike acrylic -- you cannot buff a scratch out of it. I've had fish scratch the stuff.

You might be okay, as it is going to be a freshwater tank. You're unlikely to get coraline algae, small snails, etc. that can get between the glass and your scraper. But, be extremely careful with it.

Thai

Members
Painted the back and added some wood to see how it looks, next is to work on the sump plumbing then I can add the rest of the scape and fill. Anyone want to help with my plumbing?
F2EAE63B-044B-40A6-8C7F-B96634C4F7C0_zpsrbewjhwe.jpg

8076D26F-C6F6-4E69-BA25-CE682A70E240_zps5jawt8ye.jpg

614E00F0-F7AB-4680-A0C8-EEF114D2C9C3_zpspf9ram41.jpg

6B6F3D81-0D88-4552-8E78-2F3ACA04BAF5_zpsb6nozm32.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sweet tank. One day I hope to have a few tanks that size. Maybe after I save enough money to build a fish house.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If you can get Drew to help with your plumbing, I highly recommend him. I was fortunate enough to be welcomed into his home a ways back and saw how he plumbed his large bow front. Very clean and well thought out.

blkmjk

Members
Does it have overflows? Plumbing is a breeze if so. Is the sump built already? I recommend ball valves on the returns to the tank unions everywhere. And a check valve on the pump. I also recommend the Rio 32 HF bad-a pump for sure. No need to prime the piping just glue not enough pressure to require primer.

Drew

Thai

Members
It's gt two overflows 4 1" bulkheads, I have a 75 gallon tank I'll use for sump just need baffles installed, have a check valve for pump which is a waveline dc10000 in plan on using a lot of unions and ball valves. Just not comfortable glueing and picking right parts yet

Spine

Members
If you go by Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring they have a 300g set up. They will let you let you look around and tell you how they did it. Make sure its level,and don't put anything sharp directly on the bottom glass it can fail. I know someone that had it happen. That's a lot of water to clean up if it does,lol

lkelly

Members
That would be an epic nightmare. Maybe not on par with a Cichlidarium exploding in your face, but still pretty bad.

lkelly

Members
I'm more interested in how you transformed into a piece of driftwood. Did you start to cramp up first, and then lost all feeling in your legs? That sometimes happens to me when I sit in the back seat of my Prelude.

Thai

Members
Matt nope just my 265 and 110, I have a 125 that will go next...

I'm more interested in how you transformed into a piece of driftwood. Did you start to cramp up first, and then lost all feeling in your legs? That sometimes happens to me when I sit in the back seat of my Prelude.

Nope still in one piece!

image.jpg