• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Local Camping Spots

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Alright, with the weather we had a couple of weeks ago plus all the candid comments about Assateague's mosquito population, we've decided to push that trip back to cooler weather.

So, anyone got any favorite camping spots in the area? We're willing to drive 3-4 hours from Gaithersburg if it's really somewhere worth it.

If possible, we'd like somewhere that is dog friendly and has a separate area for tents away from the RV's. Quiet is nice. Generators running at night would get to me.

Have heard good things from my buddy about a place called Blackwater Falls State Park in WV. Anyone ever been there?

YSS

Members
We've been to Cunningham Falls a few times. Pretty nice, quiet, and very close. An hour from you. There is an area where you can bring pets, I think.

We are going to Rocky Gap in a couple of weeks for the first time.

Another place is Lake Sherando south of Charlottesville. Very quaint and peaceful with beautiful scenary. I think they allow pets as well. Not sure.

Tony

We've been to Cunningham Falls a few times. Pretty nice, quiet, and very close. An hour from you. There is an area where you can bring pets, I think.

We are going to Rocky Gap in a couple of weeks for the first time.

Another place is Lake Sherando south of Charlottesville. Very quaint and peaceful with beautiful scenary. I think they allow pets as well. Not sure.

Thanks Yun. We were thinking of Cunningham Falls. I went there a few times as a kid and again a few years back. Just day trips catching bugs and playing at the falls. Seems like a pretty easy solution, being so close and all....

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Blackwater Falls is a really nice park, although I have never been to camp, only for a quick day hike with the kids. It's in Canaan Valley, about 3 hours from my place, probably 3 1/2 from G'burg.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think that John's back yard could qualify as a camp site.

He allows dogs. And beer.

There's even an aquarium there. Mostly new world stuff, though ;)

Matt

Blackwater Falls is a really nice park, although I have never been to camp, only for a quick day hike with the kids. It's in Canaan Valley, about 3 hours from my place, probably 3 1/2 from G'burg.

Tony

With the potential for rain on Saturday, the current plan is to wake up Saturday, planning on going to Cunningham Falls and play it by ear.

We'll leave a long distance destination for another weekend when we're sure of the weather.

Cheers for all the responses, guys. :)

YSS

Members
Just came back from camping at Rocky Gap. Very nice and very pretty. I don't think we could have picked better weather for camping. Everything worked out great and we had a great time. I highly recommend Rocky Gap. If you are a golfer, the golf course there is a top notch as well.

If you're still looking....despite the stereotype, WV has some unbelievable geologically interesting places, a couple of which have already been mentioned - Seneca Rocks and Dolly Sods. A great camping spot is Yokum's Campground, which is located just about at Seneca Rocks, which means that there's a lot of other stuff to do and see not too far away. Their website is http://www.yokum.com/index.htm, and although it was just tent camping the last time I was there, they also now have a motel, cabins, various other accommodations, and I think pets are permitted in all. Nearby is also Spruce Knob, the highest pt in WV, and where the wind blows so hard in one direction that the trees only have limbs on the side away from the wind. There's also Cass Scenic Railroad, Smoke Hole Caverns, the Cranberry Glades, and Blackwater Falls, among other interesting places.

gliebig

Members
Just came back from camping at Rocky Gap. Very nice and very pretty. I don't think we could have picked better weather for camping. Everything worked out great and we had a great time. I highly recommend Rocky Gap. If you are a golfer, the golf course there is a top notch as well.

I tore my ACL playing ulimate frisbee at Rocky Gap.

Golf course looks nice. What are the greens fees there?

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I hate camping. If you have to sleep outside under the stars what's wrong with your back yard Tony. The fridge is close and you never have to worry about running out of ice. If you need waterfalls I'll come over and hose from the other side of your roof. I think dogs are allowed too.

George

guarddog5

CCA Members
I hate camping. If you have to sleep outside under the stars what's wrong with your back yard Tony. The fridge is close and you never have to worry about running out of ice. If you need waterfalls I'll come over and hose from the other side of your roof. I think dogs are allowed too.

George

I can add to the experience by knocking down trees with the car for your camping site.