• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Leeches (or something)

dSerk

Members
I found a surprise with my recent purchase of bloodworms (or blackworms w/e they are). I dump the clump into a little plastic container and rinse them out and use tweezers to grab just enough to feed the fish. After a few days I noticed something clinging to the container, some kind of worm. My first thought was it was some huge planarian but there were a couple and they didn't have the right shape and I could see no eyes. They are about half a centimeter long. After watching them move for a bit I'm guessing they are tiny leeches. I don't think my camera will take a good enough picture to be useful.

I've already fed some worms in this batch to my fish :( Now I'm afraid I'll wake up one day and find them hanging off the sides of my fish.

Has anyone ever had leeches in their tank? If I find one attached to a fish, I should be able to remove it with minimal damage to the fish, correct?

Nothing seems to get the fish as excited as a bloodworm meal and I often see some kind of reproductive activity after I feed them, which is no more than once every other month. I'd hate to deny the fish their worms, what to do?

Are brine shrimp "safer?"

minifoot77

Members
i think they are "mud" leaches and will not harm the fish i had the same question a while ago when i got bw from exotic equatics