• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

LED Strip Lights

WendyFish

Members
A couple of people asked after the source of the LED strip lights that are siliconed to the top of my nano tank that I showed at Aqua Mania.

It basically comes as a roll of LED tape that you lay into metal channel for heat sink. Then just solder the connections to transformer. Switch/dimmer available.

We actually got it to do another household lighting project so just had to get another transformer for the tank. Probably would not usually make sense for a nano. ;) But might be nice for a larger tank. They are pretty bright.

Sourced from: https://www.ecolightled.com/

ezrk

Members
Nice! That gives me lots of ideas!

What was your household project?

We have a strip of LEDs running above and below a set of cantilevered shelves/cabinets in our living room. I will get Wendy to post a picture.

As an aside LED tape is pretty cool, not inexpensive, but cool. If I were redoing my under-cabinet kitchen lights I would use them as well. These are 24v lights and can run a little hot so need something to use as a heat sink, the aluminum channel they are in does the job. Other lower power tape doesn't need that and can literally be taped onto anything.

verbal

CCA Members
We have a strip of LEDs running above and below a set of cantilevered shelves/cabinets in our living room. I will get Wendy to post a picture.

As an aside LED tape is pretty cool, not inexpensive, but cool. If I were redoing my under-cabinet kitchen lights I would use them as well. These are 24v lights and can run a little hot so need something to use as a heat sink, the aluminum channel they are in does the job. Other lower power tape doesn't need that and can literally be taped onto anything.

Can the 12v be run without the heat sink?

WendyFish

Members
Nice! That gives me lots of ideas!

What was your household project?

Top and bottom of white shelf:
Shelf_zps056e193d.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell from the photo, but they really emit a lot of light, both up and down -- otherwise both areas would be quite dark. And that is not at full power on the dimmers.

For those who didn't see it at AquaMania, this is the tank:
IMG_5578_zpsa234f6fa.jpg

The other new thing I tried with this iteration of the tank setup is the Cobalt slim heater. I have only had it running a few weeks, but so far I'm really happy with it. It's sleek looking and the way the display works is nice. It has a temp dial and lights show what temp it's trying to get to and, to the extent not there, the temp it actually is. Will see more about reliability over time, but happy so far.