• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Leaving for Lake Malawi SOON!

Larry Johnson

CCA Members
Hi Gang: leaving for Malawi on Monday night.(24th)
Should have a whole lotta stories and pictures when I get back,
see you all at the November meeting!

Copadichromis borleyi "Luwala Reef"

Luwala__Reef_%281%29.jpg

Cheers,Larry

Last edited:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'd love to go too. Look forward to seeing pictures and reading the stories. Sneak me back a peacock if you can. Take care.

Larry Johnson

CCA Members
Thanks Gang!
I think I have about 3 square inches of room in one bag to fit about a hundred people,,,the only problem is that the space is not all in one spot!:eek:
I think you should all come next year!

Cheers,Larry

Lively

Members
That would make for an interesting collecting trip...I'm not sure if the Lake could handle the CCA decending upon it... what a blast that would be...

Larry Johnson

CCA Members
Although I just go to photograph the fish I do buy about 10-15 boxes of fish before I leave. (Cherry Pick)
When I do take out people on Safaris there is really two ways to go about it,,,first we just all go dive and take pics and have a ton of fun,,,the second we do much the same but we have one of the export divers with us and he can catch anything you want.
We either take this diver with us or we P/U one along the way ,as there are several locations on the lake where there are stations where the fish are shipped from.
We did this back in 2001 and had a blast, we collected fish that were seldom exported.

Cheers,Larry

Lively

Members
Do you ever take non divers with you? I've always been torn about diving - on the one hand it looks so amazing - on the other the idea of that much water being between me and the ability to suck air scares the crap out of me. My dad dived in WWII (cleared mines in the English channel) and it just about killed him - something about the airflow went wrong. I guess his stories about that sorta colored how I feel about going deep underwater. But, then I watch NatGeo or something and the film of being underwater is just amazing and then I really want to try it!

Larry Johnson

CCA Members
Lively you just gotta do it!
Remember back during WW2 diving was in its infancy and there were a lot of unknowns back then.
Probably the thing that drowns most of the divers these days is the lack of respect for what they are doing,,,,stuck under ice,caves,diving to deep or doing something which requires more exxperience that what they have.
Then again,if you are not comfortable diving you can still go along and snorkel,,you can still see a heck of a lot doing that.

Cheers,Larry

Lively

Members
Dad's accident was because no one noticed the kink in the airline. Second time in his life he dodged death. They pulled him up too fast, he got the bends and caused his sinuses to collapse. When we were kids, we'd beg him to swim with us on his back - he was a great swimmer. It was a rare thing for him to do it since it hurt like hell.

If I ever get the chance, I will probably try it. He never said, but I think my dad really missed diving - the mines, not so much. lol