• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

L333 & L270

longstocking

Members
runnningaround.gif
runnningaround.gif
runnningaround.gif

So, I'm doing water changes today and decide to check in on my hypansistrus tanks. I had a feeling that my L270's had spawned but wanted to check and make sure. Once again, dad is guarding over 12 fry
becky.gif

So, I check in on my other L numbers to make sure everything is ok. Flash light in hand, I check all the tanks and come to my last tank of plecos which has a group of wild L333's in a 30 gallon breeder. The adults all look fine and fat so I go to turn off my flash light but something catches my eye ! I saw a little tail fin running away from my light
coz.gif

Upon closer inspection... I have at least 5 cute little F1 L333's !! It's my first L333 spawn !!!
runnningaround.gif

Now if you are trying ot spawn plecos you probably know that some species like the water to get really dirty ... then you do a water change and that typically triggers spawning. I have NO idea when they spawned
coz.gif
The tank is dark dirty and on a lower tank that I rarely look into.

All is good in pleco land
becky.gif

Last edited:

longstocking

Members
Very cool Caleb... remind me next week ( very busy at the moment ) to get you the locale of the two you have. It's a rare location.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
That's awesome Pippy! Not sure what triggered the spawn, but you're definitely doing something right. :)

toddnbecka

Members
Congrats on the long-awaited event, there's still hope after all.
Geeze, 2-3 years for WC adults to spawn, I don't feel so bad about my F1's that I got back in '08 as young juvies. Maybe sometime this year...
What type and size of cave did they choose?

longstocking

Members
Todd you are a much more experienced catfish breeder than myself. I'm sure you will have yours going soon. I dove into hypansistrus brand new to plecos other than abn and calico lf bn's. I bought a bunch of L numbers right before the Brazil crack down. So far i have only managed to breed two hyps. in these couple of years. I mostly use hand made caves from a friend of mine or from Steve at South central cichlids. they are typically 5 inches long and 3 inches wide for large full grown adults...some smaller

toddnbecka

Members
I'm no expert on breeding catfish, or anything else for that matter, just another fish fool who likes cute baby fish. My latest success (?) has been the super red BN from Germany. The first unexpected spawn was in a 75 gallon growout tank full of oblongums that I only managed to save 1 red fry from. I moved the red BN into the 30L with a couple brown females and sold the brown breeding male. After 2 spawns of red male/brown female those 2 were also sold off. The next 2 spawns were with the same male, one that had grown larger than the original spawning male. All the fry were brown. So, out goes the larger male and several others, leaving the original breeding male and 2 red females to spawn in the 30. Eventually, there's another clutch of eggs, happy dance, finally some red fry will be forthcoming. Within a couple days the eggs are gone and the male has abandoned the cave. (Actually a large barnacle shell in a cluster of 6-7, for some reason all the BN spawn in that one particular shell.) Sometime later 5 red fry did turn up, I presume a few eggs were kicked out and developed on their own. So I'm thinking: "Surely, he will improve with practice." Most recent spawn was last week, Within a couple days the egg cluster was on the substrate rather than inside the cave, but the male was still tending them, at least until I got too close for a peek. After a day of that I moved the eggs into a net breeder, and they just hatched today. Looks like 40-50 wigglers, they should be fine this time around. They're in the 38 with the L-10a breeding group and a couple dozen juvies growing out. I usually wait until the BN fry are 1" before moving them to other tanks for growout, but all the BN juvies except for the single red from the first spawn have been moved out of the 38 now. Plenty of room and food for this new crop of fry. The other red female looks ready to drop a load soon, so we'll see if the 3rd time is the charm for the red male to be a good daddy.
As for the L-10a, I managed to grow out 37 fry from the first spawns. After that a couple clutches didn't last long enough to hatch. Then the male got back on track tending the eggs, and I moved the tube, eggs, and male into the 10 gallon tank each time a clutch was ready to hatch. Out of an estimated 100+ eggs, most of which I saw either hatching or just about to, I now have 4 fair-size growing fry in the 10 gallon. I'm thinking the mts population has grown too large, and the fry weren't finding enough food. The breeders seem to be taking a break, but the next clutch will be moved into another 10 gallon w/out the snails.
Otherwise, I have 6 L-333's and 6 L-134's in different tanks that I'm hoping will spawn sometime this year. I did have 5 L-204's, but 2 of those disappeared w/out a trace over the last couple years. The remaining 3 don't seem particularly interested in spawning, though I suppose it's still possible. They should at least be sexable now if I get around to researching them a bit.
I also have groups of Synodontis petricola and/or lucipinnis as well as multi's I have seen them apparently spawning, but no fry from any of them.

longstocking

Members
Thought I would share a bad shot of the L333 juvies since threads are more fun with pictures :)

F1L333.jpg

Since discovering the fry... I have been paying closer attention... more fry are in a cave now.

I wonder how many spawns I have missed :lol: