• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Kribensis Food

zackcrack00

Members
I have just brought home pair of Kribensis yesterday, and they will not eat ANYTHING that I have. I have tried spirulina flake, cichlid bio gold, New life spectrum and even aqueon tropical fish flake. They eat and spot back out everything! Jesse and Christine, what did you guys feed them?! Anyone please let me know what you feed your Kribensis, too!

zackcrack00

Members
Thanks, its just that all of my other new fish usually eat the next day, and these guys have not. Which is weird since they are doing a few mating dances and the female's belly is a brilliant hue of cherry red!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Maybe they are like the corydoras described by Arthur, and don't want to mix eating and spawning.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had lots of Kribensis and never had them starve. They will start eating eventually. Just don't keep adding food.

zackcrack00

Members
Okay, but I will add a littke for my neons and guppies. I just fed 1/3 of a cube of frozen bloodworms to the tank for my neons and Red Deltas.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Okay, but I will add a littke for my neons and guppies. I just fed 1/3 of a cube of frozen bloodworms to the tank for my neons and Red Deltas.

Like the others said, give them time. When they get hungry, they'll eat. Stick more with flake and less with pellets until they get comfortable as everyone will eat flake and only your cichlids can fit pellets.

Watch out how much frozen bloodworms you put in there. Like the old rule of thumb says.. if there's anything left after 2-3 minutes, it's too much food. :)

chriscoli

Administrator
Zack, I feed my Kribs whatever I'm feeding the other fish....nothing special. They often get flakes and NLS, so she should be fine with whatever you are offering her.

Trust me, they won't die if you don't feed them for a few days, but they will die if you overfeed them.

The other thing....I rarely watch my fish eat unless I'm specifically watching because I suspect a problem. It just makes me neurotic when I overanalyze who is eating what and who is spitting what....in the end, they all eat. Feed a little and walk away.

I also don't feed brand new fish for a day or so.

Greengirl

Members
Zack, I feed my Kribs whatever I'm feeding the other fish....nothing special. They often get flakes and NLS, so she should be fine with whatever you are offering her.

Trust me, they won't die if you don't feed them for a few days, but they will die if you overfeed them.

The other thing....I rarely watch my fish eat unless I'm specifically watching because I suspect a problem. It just makes me neurotic when I overanalyze who is eating what and who is spitting what....in the end, they all eat. Feed a little and walk away.

I also don't feed brand new fish for a day or so.
+1 on this Zach. They will be just fine. Give them 24-48 from introduction to new tank before you try feeding them. After a while, they will notice the other fish eating and they will get the idea.