• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Killer shrimp

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Not cichlid related but cool anyways
Documentary on mantis shrimp on Nat geo wild until 9
Apparently they form monogamous bonds for up to 20 years once trust is established. Thought they just killed each other after they mated lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
My husband was watching this last night and he said, "Hey, did you know there are killer shrimp?" I said - "must be mantis shrimp." He didn't believe me and then the program said "mantis shrimp."

I told him they'd break his fingers and his fish tank. They were one of those things we were always really, REALLY careful to look for when unpacking live rock at the 'Quarium Center (RIP).

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Lol they are beautiful but deadly. They can see more colors than we can. They create cavitation bubbles (separation of oxygen and hydrogen...creating light and heat) which come from the immense energy they produce while hitting things. Crazy stuff
Ps that's just over simplifying

daninmd

Members
They are really cool in a species only tank. Lots of different types. Just go acrylic and not glass so they don't crack your tank!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
There is a very good TED Talk on Mantis shrimp that was guven a couple of years ago. You can probably find it on youtube.

The Army actually studied Mantis shrimp to see if there was potential strides that could be made in improving body armor by mimicking some of their natural internal structures

Localzoo

Board of Directors
The Army actually studied Mantis shrimp to see if there was potential strides that could be made in improving body armor by mimicking some of their natural internal structures

That's cool but terrifying imagine a man with mantis type armor who can't go down and hits hard enough to cause cavitation bubbles underwater lol