• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Julidochromis Questions

Davey_8313

Members
I'm just wondering if I would be able to keep some in a 20g? I've never had any before and I haven't had Africans in a long time so any help would be well... helpful, lol. If they would go in a 20, would I possibly be able to add any tankmates or would it have to be just them? Thanks.

Last edited:

Charlutz

Members
It will be tough to start in a 20g. Julies pair by killing off the rivals and often before a pair bonds, the males will harass the females pretty hard. Once they bond, a pair of the smaller julies could work - dickfeldi, ornatus or transcriptus. You could either buy a group and wait until a pair bonds in a larger tank, or buy a bonded pair to put in the 20g. Beware that moving them can often break the pair bond, so try and get a solidly bonded pair before you move them. The stronger bonded pairs are ones that typically have bred several times and raised fry.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
If you're looking to do tangs, I think you could do Altolamps or a group of shellies no problem.

If it were a 20L, you could do a trio or quad of dwarf peacocks (A. maylandi or A. kandeensis). Only 1 male though.

Davey_8313

Members
Thanks, Tony. I'm just looking to do any Africans reallly b/c my wife likes the colors. I have a 40g breeder, but I'm putting a little colony of Pundamilia Nyererei Python Island in it.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Do they have to be Julies? I have seen Leleupi kept in a 20g until a pair formed then remove the extras. You can find some nice vibrant yellows and oranges. They breed pretty easily and are fun to keep.

Davey_8313

Members
No, they don't have to be Julies. Thanks, Leffler, I'll check them out.

Just checked them out and I was actually looking at those anyways, lol.

rsretep

Members
shellies are an excellent option multies,simulis,brevis,.... any or all will work in the 20 long just add water and watch em breed

W

wadman

Thanks, Tony. I'm just looking to do any Africans reallly b/c my wife likes the colors. I have a 40g breeder, but I'm putting a little colony of Pundamilia Nyererei Python Island in it.

here is 3 of my young Pundamilia Nyererei i had since they where fry. its only a 10 gallon and is way to small for them, they are moving soon tho. i think they are sweet looking. i cant wait to see your set up once it gets going. i don't see to many people with them. post some pics of yours.

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

longstocking

Members
Smaller Julies should be fine....

Charlies advice is right on.

I wouldn't try leleupi in a 20 gallon.... just my personal opinion. Doesn't work for me. They are worse than Julies when pairing off. Sure once you have a pair they can go into a 20 gallon.... but before then, it's a tough fit.