• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Java Fern Question

Lively

Members
Well, I guess I can't claim an aquatic black thumb, anymore. The java fern i bought at the May auction is thriving! I've got baby plants sprouting up all over the mature leaves. I pulled a few off and tucked them into the sand bed.

So, now what do I do? Do I need to prune the main plant - or just keep plucking off the baby plants?

ingg

Members
Wait until the plantlets have a bit of rhizome and some roots of their own, then pluck them off.

Java Fern (and Anubias and Bolbitis and a couple others less commonly seen) are rhizome plants - don't bury the rhizome in sand or gravel, you stand a good chance of killing them if you do. Instead, use cotton thread or florist's wire to tie the rhizome to a small rock, place the rock on the substrate.

Interesting (and maybe important for you) side note - those plantlets you are seeing are a defensive mechanism of Java Ferns. When the plant feels threatened, it produces them so that when the leaves die, babies float downstream to a new and hopefully better location than the mother plant had.

This come from mainly two things - it is often seen in heavily shaded or low light situations (In nature, it would signify an area becoming overgrown and limiting the plant, hence send babies downstream), and also seen when you are killing a rhizome via burying it. I'm hoping your mother plant's rhizome isn't buried in sand? ;)

Lively

Members
I didn't pluck anything that didn't have a fair amount of roots - i know enough about land plants to know better lol. I didn't completely bury the roots, just tucked enough of the base to hold it steady - 50% of the root is uncovered.

Extremely interesting and yes, very important to me. I'd guess it would be a combination of low light and being a bit overgrown. The plants are kinda sewn on a planting mat - that is the best way i can thing to discribe it. No gravel on the mama plant. Can I cut it to give it some more room to grow?

ingg

Members
You can cut rhizomes of Java fern - growth of the rhizomes itself and cutting or splitting them is the other way to propogate. Just make sure the new pieces have a few leaves each, and you can separate it into many smaller clumps instead of one big one.

Lively

Members
Sorry Tremper! It's the regular one.. The trident one is doing well and is in a tank that actually gets better light.

Thanks ingg! I will thin it out a bit and see what I can do about finding better lighting for it.