• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Java Fern and Anubias

TMSB805

Members
Does anyone know about how long it takes for java fern and anubias to attach itself to a piece of driftwood? Thanks

Andrew

Members
Depends on conditions in the tank. With lots of lights and some CO2 it can take two weeks or less. In lousy conditions it will not attach at all.

Becca

Members
It depends on the wood's age, hardness, etc., too.

I like to find pieces that I can wedge plants into and find that they attach pretty quickly that way. Sometimes if I have a plant with long roots, I'll tie the roots around a piece of wood, too. Those two plants can survive low-light conditions, but will grow faster with higher light-levels and good nutrients.

The cool thing is that sometimes something will happen in a tank and the plants die off (well, that's not cool) but months down the road, you'll notice that they've started to grow out of the wood that you thought was bare.

Forester

Members
I even have amazon swords growing into wood and into a sponge.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Leffler817

CCA Members
Anubias are slow growers and don't throw out roots or leaves all that often. You can expedite the root growth by trimming the roots to an inch before trying/gluing the rhizome to the driftwood.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AquaStudent

Members
DogofWar has the right idea. Use some light fishing line and attach your anubias/java fern plants and then it won't matter how long it takes for it to do it naturally. You can check it a couple of months down the road but it won't make a difference. It's hard to see fishing line underwater and it'll be hidden by growth usually anyway

TMSB805

Members
they're already tied by black/green thread and some by rubber bands. I was just curious as how long it would take for them to actually attach to the wood. Thats all

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I superglue my anubias and java fern to rock and wood. I find with too high light, anubias grows spot algae on it and java fern blackens.

AquaStudent

Members
they're already tied by black/green thread and some by rubber bands. I was just curious as how long it would take for them to actually attach to the wood. Thats all

Ok cool. It all depends on the growth conditions. I'd check it in a month or two. You don't want to check it too early because you can revert all your progress. Be careful with the thread as that may dissolve into the water.

I have an anubias plant with really long roots so I just tied the roots around a piece of driftwood and leaned a rock on it to hold it in place. Sometimes that works too