• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jack Dempsey panic

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I got my JD a few months ago when it was 1". He's now closer to 3-4". I'm cycling his upgrade tank and its almost ready (I hope).

Last week, I was doing some work in the tank next to the one he's in. I was leaning over the corner of his for a while. I guess he suddenly noticed I was there and panicked. He went flying nose first into the gravel then turned around and slammed into the side of the tank. He went vertical and leaned against the filter. I thought I'd just witnessed his death. He righted himself after a few seconds (seemed like minutes to me) but he still seemed somewhat listless. About a half hour later he was completely back to normal and still is. I'm proud to say his guppy/endler fry catching skills have not been affected by his 'incident'. He had me worried there. He's normally not skittish or easily startled by my presence over or around his tank. I guess he was having an "off day".

I can honestly say that is the first time I've seen a fish knock the snot out of themselves.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have six JDs growing out in a 75. The biggest is just shy of five inches. Every time I walk in the room they throw themselves all over the tank. I have many tanks in this room, but they are the only fish that behave this way. I wish they didn't but since they don't seem harmed after the fact, I am not worried about it.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
My JD used to be very skittish when he was under 2", but not anymore. Now when I walk over to his tank, he swims over (he thinks he's going to get small guppys or endlers). So last week when he freaked out, it definitely wasn't his usual reaction to me.

I kept thinking that if he killed himself while I've been attempting a fishless cycle on his upgrade tank, just for him, I was going to be so upset.