• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

iso peacocks

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you are going for both males and females, I would stick to a single species to avoid hybridization. There are plenty of nice fish being bred in the club, so figure out what you are looking for and see if they are available.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have some young 3 inch plus Aulonocara stuartgranti "Ngara Flametail" $12 for young pairs extra females for $7 each.

The males keep getting better colored with age. Seems to take about 2 years to get the best color.

68nova

Members
If you are going for both males and females, I would stick to a single species to avoid hybridization. There are plenty of nice fish being bred in the club, so figure out what you are looking for and see if they are available.
i just re read my post and figured that..lol im going full male dont wanna have to take care of fry i like to have different fish not all the same

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Jon is right, many hobbyists who want a colorful peacock tank put together a tank of just male peacocks of different kinds. If they want to keep the females for breeding, they set them up in 10 gallon tanks with labels as to which females they are.

68nova

Members
Jon is right, many hobbyists who want a colorful peacock tank put together a tank of just male peacocks of different kinds. If they want to keep the females for breeding, they set them up in 10 gallon tanks with labels as to which females they are.

yeah if i wanted to breed or well get my feet wet in it to say thats wat i would do i have a open stand so could but 2 10 gals on bottom if needed

You can do an all male peacock tank in a 55, but you have to be careful. I'd recommend you stick to the more mild peacocks, which means avoiding the jacobfriberghi group, such as the Eureka red, and man-made species like dragon blood as they tend to be more aggressive. Avoid more than one male of a species and males that look similar. Also, always add more than one fish at a time to an established tank. (once I didn't do this and the fish was killed and I still feel bad about that.) I always prefered males that were mature enough to show color but not fully mature as to avoid/reduce aggression. With my all male experience, I also found that not all fish read their profiles and you will inevitably have to remove a bully and/or a beaten up fish, so having a tank for that ready is useful.