• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Is this bloat?

One of my livingstonii is very bloated they have a huge appitite and sometimes appear bloated after feeding but this guy has been like this for over 24 hours and he isn't eating. My first question, is this bloat? Also is it contageous, are there any cures for it and how did he get it? Any info would help
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1378327994494.jpg

daninmd

Members
probably, what does his feces look like?

and yes, bloat is contagious so take him out of the tank asap and start treatment. its very contagious. as you have noticed, other fish in the tank are continually eating/spitting out poop floating around the tank.

most of the time bloat comes from diet - too much food and/or too much protein (for Africans)

Interesting, he was huge for 36 hours I thought he might pop he was so stretched. This morning he has improved drastically I added some salt and epsom yesterday. He was breathing heavy and loitering near the surface his last feces did seem lighter his symptoms matched bloat almost to the T. Now he has improved is it possible he was constipated? I was expecting a dead fish this morning and was suprised to see him much thinner and moving around. Should I still be concerned and isolate him? Thanks for the help I thought you guys were ignoring me :)

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Generic terms

"Bloat" refers to a condition as opposed to a specific disease/infestation, and is a term used to describes many afflictions. Never heard of or had any experience with it being "contagious" in any form although tankmates could express symptoms simultaneously as a result of common unhealthful water conditions, diet, introduction of parasites, etc.

Link with good info here on causes and treatment:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?45617-BLOAT-Photos-amp-Treatment

As I read there seems to bu much conflicting data on bloat and no definitive cause or teatment. Yeas I noticed wgite feces once in the begining before he blew up. My concern now- the bloating is diminishing is he out of the woods? Also prevention from reoccurence

Water conditions are perfect
Ph- 8.5
Ch-180-220
Gh-280-320
Ni-very low
Na-very low
I suspect my BB are strong my water conditions never seem to spike or drop any considerable amount. Run 3 filters and a karolia (probably spelled wrong)

Plenipotentiary-at-large
All things must pass.

The good thing about constipation is that when it's over it's over. You should both be fine going forward by fasting one (or even two) day(s) a week, varying diet and getting regular exercise. :D

neut

Members
One of my livingstonii is very bloated they have a huge appitite and sometimes appear bloated after feeding but this guy has been like this for over 24 hours and he isn't eating. My first question, is this bloat? Also is it contageous, are there any cures for it and how did he get it? Any info would help
Thanks

There are two common circumstances leading to 'Malawi bloat' ime (which included near 20 years of breeding haps/peacocks back in the day), aggression leading to stress and overeating. Notice I didn't say overfeeding. You may or may not be overfeeding the tank as a whole, but individual fish can still be pigs and still be overeating.

You don't want to feed your Malawis to the point that several have bulging bellies and you don't want to allow individuals to eat so much that their stomachs bulge afterward or that they develop an overly round profile or fat belly. If you do, you'll likely have cases of bloat (whether simple constipation or an impaction leading to illness) from time to time, whether you're able to cure it or not. Feed less (and manage cases of aggression) and you can virtually eliminate bloat ime.

You can get an individual pig of a hap/peacock that gets fat even in a sensibly fed tank. If I got that I'd literally move the fish to another tank where I could control his feed intake, putting him on a diet as it were, until he slimmed back down. It can save losing or having to treat the fish and some eventually seem to learn to moderate their greedy eating habits after a few such treatments.

...my suggestion

verbal

CCA Members
You don't want to feed your Malawis to the point that several have bulging bellies and you don't want to allow individuals to eat so much that their stomachs bulge afterward or that they develop an overly round profile or fat belly. If you do, you'll likely have cases of bloat (whether simple constipation or an impaction leading to illness) from time to time, whether you're able to cure it or not. Feed less (and manage cases of aggression) and you can virtually eliminate bloat ime.

I had a livingstonii group that would often gorge themselves similar to the picture. I would skip a couple feedings and they would go back to normal appearance.

This was yes was he is now in a better place a pig of a fish I have about 20 fish and he would eat up half the food for the tank I am low on space so I didn't have many options I began throwing a fewvlarge pellets in to get his mouth full and occupy him so I could feed the others probably not the best idea. He began to look much better I assume because his insides began losing the battle. I won't keep a livingstonii again I had afew but there enourmous appitite only led to illness and poor water quality. Thanks for all the help
RIP livingstonii

neut

Members
Sorry you lost him. I've had individual Malawis that would do that even in a moderately fed tank. So, like I said, having multiple tanks, I'd move them from a main display tank to a spot where I could control their feed intake, even cordoning them off with a divider if necessary, putting them on a diet, as it were. In any case, it demonstrates one of the two primary causes of bloat ime.

I had a livingstonii group that would often gorge themselves similar to the picture. I would skip a couple feedings and they would go back to normal appearance.
Yeah, exactly. Gives them a chance to clear their intestines. However you do it, one way or another it's good to keep them a little bit lean ime (which is not to say skinny). Do that and you cut down risk of bloat, lessen fat buildup in or around organs, etc. :)

Last edited: