• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Internal parasites

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
About a week ago my male A.siquia started to get a little more skiddish and since then he hasn't eaten at all. Today I noticed he had white stringy poop and I instantly thought he had internal parasites. This fish was wild caught but I've had him since aquamania (very early march) and he has eaten and grown like I'd expect him to with no issues. He even spawned. Why would this come up now and how can I cure it? Thanks

JLW

CCA Members
Without knowing how you've TRIED to cure it, I can't tell you why you can't cure it.

Throwing sage in the tank and chanting, "Huwear shor-shortz, we-wear shor-shortz" won't help you. :-D

The thing about parasitic infections, though, is that most parasites don't want to negatively effect the host -- not much anyhow. If they outright killed it, they'd die with it. Their best strategy for long term survival is to have as little impact as possible. In short (heh), fish can live a long, successful life with parasites -- just like you could have tapeworms for years and be completely unaware. Then, something happens to knock the animal out of balance, and the parasites over multiply and ... you have the above situation.

Have you tried treating with Prazi Q?

SOMEONE still has my big bottle of it, but if that SOMEONE returns it anytime soon ... I'll hook you up with a dose of it. How big is your tank?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Thanks, I havnt put in any medication or anything since this is my first time dealing with this kind of thing. The tank is a 29.