• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Input on tankmakes for Apisto

daninmd

Members
So after watching Jeff's presentation last Saturday i now have to get a dwarf SA cichlid.

After some research i think i am going to go with Apisto. agassizii. for now they will be in a 20 gallon high tank for quaranteen, but will probably upgrade to a 29g or so.

would like to add some small dither fish.

would 6 Axelrodia reisei "Ruby red tetra" be a good match with them? would 6 be a good number, or more/less?

Andrew

Members
I like deeper-bodied tetras with Apistos. Species like serpae, phantom or even hatchetfishes are good choices. The slender-bodied tetras may end up as a meal. I remember a story about an Apisto. cacatuoides carrying a neon tetra around like a dog would carry a newspaper.

Greengirl

Members
I keep my breeding pair with some angels. They have the same water parameters and the angels take the middle and top of the water and the apistos hug the ground, except during feedings.

JLW

CCA Members
I would be very hesitant to try Serpae -- they're a little too nippy for my tastes with most Apisto. But, Andrew is right -- any fish that can eat another is going to do so. :)

daninmd

Members
dang. so i really need something in the 2" range to go with the apisto? the boraras are really cool looking though. i have a spare 2 gallon betta tank with heater, etc...maybe i could put a small group in that.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Great image

I like deeper-bodied tetras with Apistos. Species like serpae, phantom or even hatchetfishes are good choices. The slender-bodied tetras may end up as a meal. I remember a story about an Apisto. cacatuoides carrying a neon tetra around like a dog would carry a newspaper.
I'm going to remember that one.

JasonC

Members
Pencilfish.. esp. N. Eques.. are a constant favorite... and not fry predators either... except for beckfordii IIRC.

Becca

Members
Pencilfish.. esp. N. Eques.. are a constant favorite... and not fry predators either... except for beckfordii IIRC.

I got some really nice looking Eques pencilfish from Batfish this weekend. He also has the marginatus. Josh has a nice selection of Tetras, Danios, and Rasboras right now, as well. I picked up some Ember Tetras (they get a nice orange color) and Emperor Tetras.

Plus, Josh's stock is fresh and local! (He's also got some nice looking apistos!!!)

Becca

Members
Don't get fresh with me!

Fresh? Are you back to doing that cichlid canape' thing again?

Main Entry: fresh  [fresh] Show IPA
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: new, just produced
Synonyms: beginning, brand-new, comer, contemporary, crisp, crude, current, different, gleaming, glistening, green*, hot off the press, hot*, immature, just out, late, latest, mint, modern, modernistic, natural, neoteric, newborn, newfangled, novel, now, original, radical, raw, recent, sparkling, state-of-the-art, the latest, this season's, unconventional, unprocessed, unseasoned, untouched, unusual, up-to-date, virginal, what's happening, young, youthful

Plenipotentiary-at-large
So which is it?

Guessing that if they''re Joshua's that "virginal" doesn't apply. Also notice you didn't answer the question. Hors d'oeuvres anyone ?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Emperor Tetras

I got some really nice looking Eques pencilfish from Batfish this weekend. He also has the marginatus. Josh has a nice selection of Tetras, Danios, and Rasboras right now, as well. I picked up some Ember Tetras (they get a nice orange color) and Emperor Tetras.

Plus, Josh's stock is fresh and local! (He's also got some nice looking apistos!!!)

I too got some Emperor Tetras from Josh. They're a little bigger than neons, so might be okay with Apistos. Apparently they are a relatively easy tetra and will even breed in a heavily planted tank.

Becca

Members
I too got some Emperor Tetras from Josh. They're a little bigger than neons, so might be okay with Apistos. Apparently they are a relatively easy tetra and will even breed in a heavily planted tank.

Yep - I used to breed them at the hatchery. You just stick a bunch in a tank packed with Java Moss and once a month or so you go through and separate out the big ones from the little ones. If I recall correctly, we did the same thing for white cloud mountain minnows, although they weren't quite as prolific.