• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

inexplicable death

came home from the holiday weekend to find my fahaka puffer belly-up. i know, it's part of the hobby, but sucks nonetheless. :(
strange thing is that of all of my fish he seemed to be thriving the best; when i got him in early february he was a little bit bigger than a pea, and had gotten to be just slightly smaller than a golf ball. ate well on a varied diet (including snails and crab, to keep the beak down), water perfect, always very attentive and curious.....
ah well, trick now is finding a new one; i got him at pet supplies plus in fairfax as a special order, but they don't carry fish anymore. going to make a few calls today and hope for the best.

Becca

Members
I'm so sorry to hear this. I really enjoyed the photos you showed me, and his name.
Batfish Aquatics may be able to find you one.

thanks. i sent him an email. also called just about every store i've ever heard of through northern virginia and maryland, as well as a couple in pennsylvania. so far no luck, but i'm nothing if not determined!

thedavidzoo

Members
Sorry to hear! Sucks. BTW, what was his name????

I don't know much about puffers, and their beaks vs. sizes vs. strength, but "I read somewhere" that MTS snail shells are very hard to crack, harder than ramshorn, etc. Could there be any reason to suspect a MTS/piece did him in?

his name was "mr. pink gumball", a reference to the fact that he looked like steve buscemi (mr. pink, from reservoir dogs) and that he was just about almost gumball sized when i got him...somewhere between a large pea and small gumball.
not really too sure what the cause might've been. i'd fed him mts before with no issue. but he always ate like a fat kid 5 minutes before the cake buffet closes, so choking might be a possibility.

zackcrack00

Members
I'll talk to the owner of Rick's tonight. I'll be working tonight so I can call you and let you know what he says about getting fahaka puffers in. I'll need your number, though.

Daltharang

Members
I don't know if you have found another, but i was at Winchester Aquarium and pets earlier today and alas they did have 1 small little fahaka puffer for sale. Told the manager "Zack" there that i knew someone on here was looking for one. 540-667-8198 is the number and Zack is the best person to speak with. He is usually there from open to close on weekdays. He also had some orange saddle puffers that i had to really resist from getting one.