• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

In praise of the Blue Orchid Peacock

Some of you may remember that I ordered a colony of blue orchid peacocks from Dykemyster a while back (I'd decided I HAD to have peacocks again after losing an entire male peacock/hap tank to an unexplained nitrite spike.) I only had a 45 gallon to work with. I settled on aulonocara kandeense after reading about its mild manner and relatively small size. Eric agreed it was totally do-able and recommended 3M-5F. I had only expected to be able to do one male and was thrilled with his suggestion. Fast forward now six months or so -- the colony is thriving. No chasing, no aggression. Both "big" males are fully colored up and the third, smaller boy is colored but not quite as much. The females hold occasionally (one particularly seems to not understand you can't eat while holding and I see eggs falling out.) No full-term egg holdings yet, but that's OK. Peace, harmony and color in a small package!!

I know MOST of you have a gazillion big tanks, but for those of us on the smaller end of things, this peacock can't be beat for a species only colony . . . Just my two cents!

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
That's great news Holly! Recently, my colony of Blue Orchids that I got from Dave's Rare Aquarium a year ago finally spawned. OH YEA!:)

I too had 3 males and about 4 females, but I lost 2 of the males due to some Placidichromis Jalo reefs I had in with them. They too have spawned for me and I'm totally thrilled about it.

Nevertheless, I eventually had to move the Jalo's because the Alpha male began to be too aggressive. Both species were fine for a about 11 months, but then the fighting began.

So yes, I concur with you about 1 species to a tank especially when you're trying to get them to breed.

Thanx for sharing
;)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The blue orchids are beautiful. I have 2M/6F in a 25 with some juvenile petricola and they breed regularly. My alpha male is fully colored up around 4" and always flashing his fins.