• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

imperial tropicals?

Becca

Members
I just got some as part of the BFD group buy. The fish came in alive and healthy. The fish I ordered are fairly sensitive in terms of temperature and O2 levels, but they seem to be faring well.

When ordering fish via the mail, make sure you are there to receive the box (so it doesn't sit out) and that you are prepared to get the fish out of the bag(s) and into clean, conditioned water.

I just got some as part of the BFD group buy. The fish came in alive and healthy. The fish I ordered are fairly sensitive in terms of temperature and O2 levels, but they seem to be faring well.

When ordering fish via the mail, make sure you are there to receive the box (so it doesn't sit out) and that you are prepared to get the fish out of the bag(s) and into clean, conditioned water.

thx becca, also most of these places online require "express" shipping when spending a certain amount. dose that mean they will arrive sooner? like expidited.

Becca

Members
thx becca, also most of these places online require "express" shipping when spending a certain amount. dose that mean they will arrive sooner? like expidited.

It requires express shipping depending on the fish you're ordering and how well they ship, usually.

The actual shipping speed is something you'd have to contact the dealer to find out about.

All of this said, if I can obtain a fish locally, I will, even if it costs more, because it gives me the opportunity to see the fish and eliminate the risks associated with shipping.

It requires express shipping depending on the fish you're ordering and how well they ship, usually.

The actual shipping speed is something you'd have to contact the dealer to find out about.

All of this said, if I can obtain a fish locally, I will, even if it costs more, because it gives me the opportunity to see the fish and eliminate the risks associated with shipping.

Okay thank you, good advice! That being said I will only order the fish that I haven't been able to find anywhere, and get the other I am interested in locally.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Imperial is a great company to deal with. Mike (owner) is reputable and respected.

Andrew

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Mike is a great guy. I wouldn't hesitate to order fish from Imperial.

Don't be afraid of ordering fish through the mail, just don't be cheap when it comes to shipping. While most vendors are very good at packing fish, it is stressful on the fish no matter what. If you are given the option, take whatever option gets the fish to the quickest. Some places will ship 2 day delivery (I've even done it myself), but unless you are getting small fish, overnight is the way to go in my opinion.

okay thx again. I am glad everyone is saying good things about this dealer. I just placed my order with the best shipping available on the site (witch was really not bad compared to some others places, only $25)

i have the nxt 2 days off so im excited to get them all set up !!

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I ship a fair amount of fish, though there are others in the club that probably ship a lot more. I ship only by USPS since they are 4 miles from here whereas all others are at least a half hour away and I do not send enough to have them come here and pick up.
That said, EXPRESS Mail (by the USPS) is always overnight delivery unless you are in Alaska or Hawaii, where it is a two day thing. Priority mail is variable, usually one day within 100 miles of the shipping place, two days to most other places near big cities and 3 days if you are a couple hour away from a big city. But the post office occasionally needs an extra day for Priority Mail through common mistakes like missing the truck from one place to the next.

I pack so mostly the fish will be alive for at least 3 days and usually will survive for 4 or 5 days. I will not ship if the daytime temperature is below 40 or above 92. Too much risk for the fish under those conditions.

SO back to the EXPRESS mail shipping. It is usually twice or three times as expensive as Priority Mail but the fish basically always arrive alive. Priority Mail can deliver fish in 1 to 3 days and is a slight bit more risky but is so mainly do to taking an extra day or two to get to where they are suppose to go. I would say less than 5% take an extra day and only a few of these shipped by me arrive with a problem or dead. I mainly ship by Priority Mail and have not had any problems in a couple years now. Keep learning.

I can send locally via Priority Mail for about $10 to $12 and mainly they arrive overnight if it is within the MD/VA/DC metro area. I rarely send by Express Mail. Mostly I send to nearby states or to California. Yeh, go figure.

I ship a fair amount of fish, though there are others in the club that probably ship a lot more. I ship only by USPS since they are 4 miles from here whereas all others are at least a half hour away and I do not send enough to have them come here and pick up.
That said, EXPRESS Mail (by the USPS) is always overnight delivery unless you are in Alaska or Hawaii, where it is a two day thing. Priority mail is variable, usually one day within 100 miles of the shipping place, two days to most other places near big cities and 3 days if you are a couple hour away from a big city. But the post office occasionally needs an extra day for Priority Mail through common mistakes like missing the truck from one place to the next.

I pack so mostly the fish will be alive for at least 3 days and usually will survive for 4 or 5 days. I will not ship if the daytime temperature is below 40 or above 92. Too much risk for the fish under those conditions.

SO back to the EXPRESS mail shipping. It is usually twice or three times as expensive as Priority Mail but the fish basically always arrive alive. Priority Mail can deliver fish in 1 to 3 days and is a slight bit more risky but is so mainly do to taking an extra day or two to get to where they are suppose to go. I would say less than 5% take an extra day and only a few of these shipped by me arrive with a problem or dead. I mainly ship by Priority Mail and have not had any problems in a couple years now. Keep learning.

I can send locally via Priority Mail for about $10 to $12 and mainly they arrive overnight if it is within the MD/VA/DC metro area. I rarely send by Express Mail. Mostly I send to nearby states or to California. Yeh, go figure.

Thanks for thr shipping info frank! I ended up going with the express shipping. Its my first time and I want to make sure they are all alive when I get them. And 25$ seemed reasonable. Some other sites show 40$ or more for shipping so it seemed like a good deal!.

Also frank, do you have a website I can check your fish out on? I've heard so many good things about your fish from jose and others. I'm interested in some corydoras !

Jt731

Members
I probably have received 12 or so shipments of fish this past year (rainbow fish guy).

The end of the trip is where things have broken down. All but 1-2 were usps express mail. The other two were pretty noneventful, fed ex. First off, the usps in the DC area is regularly negatively reviewed, and if you do some searching you'll find they even released a few get well plans over the years.

My first package was a bunch of guppies from southern VA. They were left over night in the truck on the hottest day of the summer. Only lost 20% though, and this was a minimal package job.

I order a lot from Eric at oddball in PA. His shipping costs are high, but they come in a heavy styrofoam container well packed and in Jordan breather bags. So sometimes higher shipping cost means better. He also will do express to be held at the post office. Which I tried a few times since my mailman had no issue leaving them in the outside mail thing. Which lead to a bunch of hell experiences. The first time, I was told they don't hold at the post office. After speaking to the manager, it wasn't until I expressly said it was an express package that they admitted to it. They then could not find the package. After asking what it looked like I pointed at the package and said it looks like that, at which point they looked at it and said no it wasn't. I left, came back, and the second time they were able to identify it as mine (I'm not kidding). Repeat this experience several times, including one where they sent it out for delivery anyway. I finally gave up on that. I've spent well over a grand through Eric and through delivery one fish has died. Just 1.

With all that said, I will never buy if it's not from a reputable breeder and direct from that breeder anymore, and I continue to have them shipped. Completely 100 percent worth it, as long as you research and find the breeders everyone loves and respect.

I probably have received 12 or so shipments of fish this past year (rainbow fish guy).

The end of the trip is where things have broken down. All but 1-2 were usps express mail. The other two were pretty noneventful, fed ex. First off, the usps in the DC area is regularly negatively reviewed, and if you do some searching you'll find they even released a few get well plans over the years.

My first package was a bunch of guppies from southern VA. They were left over night in the truck on the hottest day of the summer. Only lost 20% though, and this was a minimal package job.

I order a lot from Eric at oddball in PA. His shipping costs are high, but they come in a heavy styrofoam container well packed and in Jordan breather bags. So sometimes higher shipping cost means better. He also will do express to be held at the post office. Which I tried a few times since my mailman had no issue leaving them in the outside mail thing. Which lead to a bunch of hell experiences. The first time, I was told they don't hold at the post office. After speaking to the manager, it wasn't until I expressly said it was an express package that they admitted to it. They then could not find the package. After asking what it looked like I pointed at the package and said it looks like that, at which point they looked at it and said no it wasn't. I left, came back, and the second time they were able to identify it as mine (I'm not kidding). Repeat this experience several times, including one where they sent it out for delivery anyway. I finally gave up on that. I've spent well over a grand through Eric and through delivery one fish has died. Just 1.

With all that said, I will never buy if it's not from a reputable breeder and direct from that breeder anymore, and I continue to have them shipped. Completely 100 percent worth it, as long as you research and find the breeders everyone loves and respect.

Awsome, I ordered some rainbows on This shippment, 10 dwarf neon ranbows!!! Thanks for the great info again! I live in an apt. So even if they leave the package at my door it will be indoors. And for it being winter the nxt 2 days will be optimal Temps for shipping fish I would think.... 75 degrees. So excited to receive this shippment

I bought 15 coffee bean tetras from Imperial Tropicals at the last All-Aquarium Catfish Conference. They were wild caught. Mike had dewormed them and then quarantined them for a month. They have proven to be very hardy in my tank. Mike is very knowledgeable and generous with his time and guidance. Strongly recommend them, although I haven't ordered by mail.

I bought 15 coffee bean tetras from Imperial Tropicals at the last All-Aquarium Catfish Conference. They were wild caught. Mike had dewormed them and then quarantined them for a month. They have proven to be very hardy in my tank. Mike is very knowledgeable and generous with his time and guidance. Strongly recommend them, although I haven't ordered by mail.

Great!! I seem to have found a great place to get fish. thanks for the info.

I got:
10 dwarf neon rainbows
4 geo steindachneri (1M/3FM)
1 red shoulder severum

Can't wait to get them in!!!

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Mason,

I usually put my list of available fish on this forum about one week prior to the next CCA meeting. That list is always up to date. The one on my website, aquaticlifefarm.com, has not been updated in a while though it does have some information, hopefully informative information on the hobby. and my business email is aquaticlifefarm@gmail.com

My next list will be about April 3rd or 4th.
April 3rd is the BIG SPRING AUCTION put on by PVAS in Fairfax VA.

Mason,

I usually put my list of available fish on this forum about one week prior to the next CCA meeting. That list is always up to date. The one on my website, aquaticlifefarm.com, has not been updated in a while though it does have some information, hopefully informative information on the hobby. and my business email is aquaticlifefarm@gmail.com

My next list will be about April 3rd or 4th.
April 3rd is the BIG SPRING AUCTION put on by PVAS in Fairfax VA.

Nice! I live in fairfax so that may work out for me. Thanks Frank

Jt731

Members
One more thing, do not panic if you are tracking it through usps and the scheduled delivery date slips a day but it's still before noon. Each post office has dedicated delivey staff for express packages and will make multiple trips from the post office. Ci've had packages arrive at my post office at 10am and have been delivered before noon.

i placed my order at noon today. I dont think it has shipped yet tho, maby it will ship tomorrow. would assume i would get notified when it ships. the website says "come back to this page to track your shipment" but when i go there it says your order is confirmed. will have to check it in the morning.

I am too excited and anxious.. =] this is my way of indulging since i couldent make it to BFD

rpitonyak

Members
I ordered a Venustus and a Synodontis Catfish Monday and the package arrived today. It shipped yesterday as they quarantine the fish to make sure they are healthy prior to shipping. The Venustus looks great. They forgot my catfish though, even though the shipping notification says it was shipped with the Venustus. I am waiting to hear back and will hopefully get my catfish soon.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rpitonyak

Members
I just spoke with Mike at Imperial. He is sending a vredit for the catfish and apologized for the oversight. The Venustus is still doing great and full of energy. I will definitely order from Imperial in the future.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App