• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Im not sure what happened

Harleyrider5

Members
Yesterday my 24" gar died. He was acting wierd a few days ago. He would go up and bite the surface of the water then go back down. Out of no where he just died. Its crazy

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sorry for your loss!

I'm not sure what's involved in the care of a 2' gar (or similar prehistoric creature).

Seems like they'd need a big tank. Are they subtropical? Feeding? Tankmates?

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'd guess they are subtropical, given that they are common in north Florida. For tank mates, I've got no idea. Small alligators? Turtles?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I tend to believe (based on keeping a lot of Uruguayan fish) that sub-tropical fish have problems when kept at consistently tropical temps... and that predators have problems when fed in ways that don't mimic the natural patterns of gluttony and starvation associated with being a pred. But I've never kept a gar :)

Matt

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
So sorry to hear
My 12" florida gar does that allot, I think their just going up for air. In the wild they do that because they need to survive living in stagnant lakes.
I can sell you my florida if you want a new gar?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I've kept a florida gar. Feast Famine is a good feeding pattern. Sounds like it was gasping for air. They def come up and gulp for air but if its a repeated gulping while hanging out up top might be a sign of oxygen deprivation (if your lid is on too tight or hood doesn't have area for air to come in or leave that doesn't help the gas exchange) they use up a lot of oxygen when active. Then after gorging they mellow out and slowdown while digesting.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Harleyrider5

Members
He had a smaller 18" gar with him and a cat fish. Diverse diet. No attack marks. No spike in water quality.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
He had a smaller 18" gar with him and a cat fish. Diverse diet. No attack marks. No spike in water quality.

Strange...genetic defect maybe. Some things we can't see. Liver damage or organ malformation or failure. How big was he when you got him? Sometimes cramped space when small can cause issues that are only seen when reaching maturity.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app