• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

If you are using Prime, take a look at Safe

YSS

Members
Just passing on some info on a product that I started using. Most people swear by Prime, but it's pretty expensive. There is a product called Safe, also from SeaChem, which is basically a powder version of Prime, but much much cheaper. I have been using it for the last couple of months and seems like it works. Just wanted to let everyone know. Big hit among the discus keepers. A guy in PA sells them. http://www.igopro-online.com/

mchambers

Former CCA member
Safe

Cool. I've read about it, but not seen it for sale many places. It makes sense that a dry version would be cheaper. I've looked at Chloram-X, another powered water conditioner, but it doesn't seem cheaper than Prime.

Thanks for letting us know.

YSS

Members
Cool. I've read about it, but not seen it for sale many places. It makes sense that a dry version would be cheaper. I've looked at Chloram-X, another powered water conditioner, but it doesn't seem cheaper than Prime.

Thanks for letting us know.

You are welcome! We are all trying to lower our costs of this expensive hobby so we can get more tanks and fish. :D

bschuhart

Members
2 Q&A's about SAFE from the Seachem web site.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Safe.html

Q: I keep Discus and do daily water changes of anywhere from 20-75%. SAFE was recommended to me by a local pet store. I have been using Start Right or equivalent to dechlorinate, but my local water department is switching to chloramine and I am looking for a solution. I usually dose the water after draining the desired percentage and refill my tanks right out of the tap. There are warnings SAFE not to overdose. Will I be able to use this product in the same manner as start right?

A: Safe™ can be used to remove chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. It is recommend that you use the recommended amount, especially when removing elevated levels of ammonia (the dose would be higher than if you were treating for chloramines or chlorine).
When treating your system, after you have completed filling up the tank, use the recommend dose for removing chloramines. You will need to dose the entire system water volume because the chloramines have had a change to circulate through your water (if performing a water top off or change from a bucket it is only necessary to treat that the new water).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Can I mix Seachem Safe with water and store the solution to use later on. So instead of using the dry powder, I can use it pre-dissolved.

A: Safe does not have the stabilizers, like Prime, to keep it stable in liquid form. We do not recommend mixing it and storing it for future use.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I started using Chloram-X (I got a 5 lb bucket that treats almost 19k of water from Kensfish.com) and couldn't be happier. It's way cheaper than Prime and seems to work equivalently.

I put some in a baggie and just add a pinch to each tank as I'm doing water changes.

Matt

YSS

Members
I started using Chloram-X (I got a 5 lb bucket that treats almost 19k of water from Kensfish.com) and couldn't be happier. It's way cheaper than Prime and seems to work equivalently.

I put some in a baggie and just add a pinch to each tank as I'm doing water changes.

Matt

Not sure how much you paid for the 5lb bucket, but 1kg of Safe treats 200,000G of water and I paid $35.00

mscichlid

Founder
I checked out the site too, but was to sleepy to understand the directions for using it. How do you measure Safe for use? I still have a half a litre of Prime to go, but always looking for something cheaper. I love prime and will miss the smell of sulfur. It is a good indicator that I used it if I couldn't remember if I did or not. :)

YSS

Members
I checked out the site too, but was to sleepy to understand the directions for using it. How do you measure Safe for use? I still have a half a litre of Prime to go, but always looking for something cheaper. I love prime and will miss the smell of sulfur. It is a good indicator that I used it if I couldn't remember if I did or not. :)

The direction states:

- 5g (1tsp) to remove chlorine for 200G
- 5g (1tsp) to remove chloramine for 250G
- 5g (1tsp) to remove ammonia for 40G

I use 1/2 tsp measuring spoon and put 3 full spoons for my 265G tank. It might be an overkill, but better be safe than sorry. Come to think of it, I will go ahead and start using 2 poon full. :) I mix the powder in a big glass full of water and dissolve before pouring in the tank.

mchambers

Former CCA member
relative cost of conditioners

Here are my calculations on water conditioner efficiency:

Prime (from Ken's): 2 liter bottle, $37.99, treats 20,000 gallons (Seachem says each ml. treats a gallon), or $.0018995 per gallon

Chloram-X (ditto): 5 lb bucket, $34.50, treats 18,794 gallons (according to Ken's), or $.00184 per gallon

Safe (from igopro-online.com): 1 kg. $29.99, treats 200,000 gallons (according to Seachem, each 100 mg treats 20 gallons of water with chloramine -- removes 1 ppm), or $.0014995

Seems that Prime and Chloram-X cost about the same, Safe costs less than 1/10th as much. If anyone see any mistakes in my calculations, let me know.

chris_todd

Members
Safe (from igopro-online.com): 1 kg. $29.99, treats 200,000 gallons (according to Seachem, each 100 mg treats 20 gallons of water with chloramine -- removes 1 ppm), or $.0014995

Looks like you missed one zero in the price:
$29.99 / 200,000 gallons = $0.00014995 per gallon

You had it right in your description, though, it's about 1/10 the cost per gallon.

And each ml of prime treats 10 gallons, so a 2L bottle treats 20,000 gallons. You had the math right, but the description was off.

Last edited:

longstocking

Members
Thanks for the info!

I don't use Prime or Cloram-X as I never have chloromines. But this is even cheaper than what I am curently using and I would rather use a powder form.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I use a product called Pond Prime. It is not labeled as a seachem product but I believe it is made by them. The label is different than prime, though it does everything prime does. The difference is that one capful of Pond Prime treats 100 gallons whereas one capful of prime treats fifty. The cost is almost identical to Prime.

mscichlid

Founder
The 2 L Prime directions say "Use 1 capful (10 ml) for each 400 L (100 US gal).

The 2 L Pond Prime, also by Seachem, is very concentrated and the directions are to use 1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) for each 600-700 gallons. You figure it out. :)

mchambers

Former CCA member
Looks like the Seachem Safe dosage instructions have been changed, so that you use far less Safe for most situations. This makes it an even less expensive solution:

"Use 1.25 g (1/4 tsp.) for every 1,250 L (300 gallons) as needed to reduce chlorine and chloramine or use 1.25 g (1/4 tsp.) for every 300 L (75 gallons) for ammonia.

May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite and nitrate in an emergency, up to 4 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose."

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Safe.html