• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ICK???? HELP!

bschuhart

Members
OK, as I posted last week I'm having some unknown issue in my tanks. I now think it's ich or some other external parasite. I beleive it was spread to all my tanks (9) by using a Python. It's not in my 110 show tank which is in another part of the house and I use a different Python.

65g - display tank -(Rena 3 filter) w/ demasoini, yellow labs and A. jacobfreibergi, all are adults. Noticed scratching and labored breathing, NO white spots.
7 days ago treated with Melafix, salt, nothing changed. did a 30% water change, raise temp. to 85 and added Aquari-Sol for the last 3 days, seems to be getting better, but not sure. NO deaths.

the following tanks have sponge filters.

20H - fry tank 1/2 inch, demonsoni, otter points- total deaths so far -8 of 15 demasoni died and 3 of 5 otter points died. 10 days ago treated w/ Melafix and salt they kept on dieing. 3 days ago raise temp to 85 and added Aquari-Sol, no additional deaths.

Today -

20L - 10 yellow lab fry 1" one death.

20H - 1 ABN, 15 Koi Angels quarter sized - 2 deaths

20H - 1 ABN, 11 demasoni fry 1.5" scratching

20H - Yellow lab holding

20H - Yellow lab holding

10 - new, no water

10 - new, no water

40B - new, no water

Help me out here. I had no problems until about 2 weeks ago, so I think my general house keeping is OK.

1. Is Aquari-Sol (copper Salts) OK for ABN and fry?

2. Whats the best way to disinfect the Phython, nets....? I used hot water in the hose and soaked the nets, dip tubes... in a bucket of water with a high strength of Aquari -Sol.

3. Whats the best way to use a Phython on mutiple tanks and not spread disease?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.:wacko:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
If labored breathing continues, add some aeration (on tanks without sponge filters). High temps and some meds can really make dissolved O2 drop, so make sure they're getting plenty of oxygen.

For disinfection purposes, bleach is your best bet, just rinse REALLY well after using. They make some solutions specifically for net disinfectant, but I don't know how strong it is. I can't really say theres an exact way to use a python on multiple tanks without cross contamination. Unless you have a bucket of bleach water set aside to run through the hose after every tank, it may be tough. Good luck.

Not sure why you're using Melafix if you suspect ich . . .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ich does not survive being dried out. So simply leaving nets out to dry thoroughly should suffice.

As for the phython, generally, I'd use one for your QT and then another for all the rest of the tanks. Ich does not simply appear, generally speaking -- I know there is controversy about this -- it comes in with new stock. If you've not added any new stock and not had any calamity in the tank, such as malfunctioning heater that would stress the stock, not sure how/why it would be ick. And without spots, too . . . I'd personally assume some other external infection.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Soaking the nets in hot water with white vinegar will clean the nets. Ich can be dried in cyst form and will hatch when in contact with water. As for the python, hot water and bleach will kill all contaminants. Then use it to drain a large, healthy tank to flush out the remaining bleach... or just run your faucet through it, but that is more wasteful.
Ich can pop up in tanks without new additions. This is often seen after major changes in water chemistry. If no white spots are present but other syptoms of ich persist, treat it for protozoans and that will solve the problem. Aquarisol is as safe as quick cure when used in the right concentrations. Adding a sterilizer to the tank will assist in killing off the invader.

bschuhart

Members
Soaking the nets in hot water with white vinegar will clean the nets. Ich can be dried in cyst form and will hatch when in contact with water. As for the python, hot water and bleach will kill all contaminants. Then use it to drain a large, healthy tank to flush out the remaining bleach... or just run your faucet through it, but that is more wasteful.
Ich can pop up in tanks without new additions. This is often seen after major changes in water chemistry. If no white spots are present but other syptoms of ich persist, treat it for protozoans and that will solve the problem. Aquarisol is as safe as quick cure when used in the right concentrations. Adding a sterilizer to the tank will assist in killing off the invader.

I used a diatom filter (System 1) on the 65g, but didn't want to use it on the other tanks due to cross contamonation.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Bschuhart, for Ick the best med that I've used over the years and has never failed me is...

Cupermine by Seachem. It effectively eradicates
Oodinium, Cryptocaryon, Amyloodinium, Ichthyophthirius, and other ectoparasites of both freshwater and marine fish.

It is superior to copper sulfate, chloride & citrate: it is non-acidic, less toxic to fish, remains in solution, and does not contaminate the filter bed. It is superior to chelates: it is fully charged (ionic), active at low concentrations, and is removable with carbon.

Treat the tank for 3 days, after those 3 days do a 50% water change and hit'em again for 3 days and I promise you, you will never see any ick again.

I highly recommend it! I truly know exactly what you're going through...helpless and you cant stop them from dying, but go to the store or call around first to find out who stocks it and use it immediately.

Good Luck,

RM

Spine

Members
When my fish have been really stressed out or are breathing really hard I start off with a half dose of meds and I crank up the air or water flow in the tank.