• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I think I have detritus worms

Flowerhorn

Members
Hi all. I have a 100 gallon tank with two srd FH . I recently removed the sand in my tank because I read they prefer it that way. Any way today I notice worms wiggling around the glass and I also have these stringy white substance around the bottom ring of my tank I added picture of everything
I need help has anyone had this...?... Is it a problem... And how do I get rid of them??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Scrape the stringy stuff off the bottom of the tank, reduce amount of food and frequency of feedings. Lastly, increase the amount and frequency of water changes.

Ading522

Members
The thing is they are on the glass how do I get them in to the vacuum hose??

If you don't have a strong enough pull from the vacuum to take them off, scrape them off with a glass scrubber..once they're off they should be going into the vacuum pretty easy.

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
They're planaria or some sort of flat worm. Generally not harmful.

Reducing feedings/extra food in the tank should do the trick in reducing the population, though with as messy of eaters as some of those big boys are, you're unlikely to ever full get rid of them.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
While the fish may not be happy with you, they will be fine. I go away for 5-6 days at times for the ACA convention and the fish are fine without food.
Cutting back for a little, while is not going to hurt them and will help with their eco system.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I typically only feed my fish 4 or 5 days a week with the exception of young fry, which get fed daily. Many of the experts that we have had come present to the club prescribe to feeding less. In the wild, the fish we keep do not get a heavily protien packed meal every day. IMO, less feeding will lead to healthier fish.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree with Jon and Pat on all points. I've not fed my fish for up to two weeks while on vacation, and they've been fine.

Last year, I didn't feed them for 12 days while we were on vacation, then fed them for 3 days, and then derecho hit and we lost power, so they went without food for another 6 days. After the power came back on and I started feeding them again, they went on a spawning spree.

ezrk

Members
I would certainly feel fine not feeding them for a few days. The one thing we have noticed when we have not fed them for vacations, etc. is that there is an increased risk of violence...

Ading522

Members
I would certainly feel fine not feeding them for a few days. The one thing we have noticed when we have not fed them for vacations, etc. is that there is an increased risk of violence...

Why not have an automatic feeder that drops food in smaller yet at least twice a day? That helps lessen the aggression. And maybe doing a water change before you leave. I did that with three if my African Cichlid tanks for 5 days I was fine .lost no fish. And no one seemed to be losing a few fins here and there..

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Flowerhorn

Members
Well it looks like the planaria worms are getting less with the water changes and salt.

But I came home to day to find the female in the male section of the tank and they obviously fought each other and this is what happened to my fish .

When I came in the weren't fighting and they were really hungry so at least I know they can live together now. Was thinking of treating the male with iodine but the injuries are to close to his nose and eyes so I probably will not do that.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1382448085.065372.jpg