• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I need a UV Sterilizer...

Paul S

Ongoing problems with cloudy/green water... Can anyone recommend a decent, not too expensive UV sterilizer? Thanks,
Paul

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I found one at petsmart for $30 I think. I think it was an 8 watt, but you don't need a strong one for fresh water tanks. Have you looked at other ways of controlling your algae? A sterlilzer will only help keep algae at bay once the initial problem has been corrected. It won't kill anything that is already present.

Paul S

I wish I knew what was causing the problem but I've had ongoing green/cloudy water in my 20 gal planted tanks for a few months now. The standard water tests indicate normal levels of nitrates, ammonia, etc... I've cut back on light duration but that's not working. I don't want to use chems so I thought a UV sterlizer might help solve the problem... Or would that be a waste of money?

Last edited:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Well at least you're looking at the primary causes of algae. There are a lot of people on here more familiar with the dynamics of planted tanks. Do you have a cleanup crew (pleco, nerite snails, flagfish)? Sometimes natural means of control can help as well. What type of lighting are you using? Low wattage/old bulbs or too much lighting without CO2 can cause algae oergrowth as well. A UV sterilizer wouldn't necessarily be a waste of money because it would help keep other organisms under control, but I don't think its going to give you the instant fix you're hoping for.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Daphnia would be an excellent solution if you could score some. A real bonus for your fishies too.

George

maddog10

Members
Freshwater clams or muscles will have your water sparkling in no time. Of course, if you pick the wrong ones they will take over the tank.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Freshwater clams or muscles will have your water sparkling in no time. Of course, if you pick the wrong ones they will take over the tank.
No, they would die and polute the water like in the bay.

George

maddog10

Members
I have a couple of BIG ones. A little more than what you need. Can't remember if they are 40w or 80w. They are feed by 1 1/2" PVC. I wouldn't stand to close to them.

Lively

Members
I have a problem with green water in one of my tanks, it takes a couple of months, but it resolved itself on its own - and then it comes back a couple of months later. Come to think of it, since I added the floating plants it hasn't been as much of a problem as in the past and the algae isn't coming back on the rocks, either.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
you could try adding sommething like anacharis or hornwort (if your fish allow it) as they are fast growers and nutrient hogs. Have you tried a black out?

Lively

Members
Doi! Interupted by kids... I was going to say, I used chemicals a couple of times - they didn't work well for me.

Cartel

Members
Not to highjack but I get algae all over my glass and rocks in one of my tanks allllll the time. Water is nice and clear though. I just added a couple plants to see if that helps but we'll see if my fish leave them alone long enough....

I have also tried the blackout thing but that doesnt seem to really help much if any at all. My other tanks are perfect on the other hand. And no sunlight of any kind is in the room so thats not a prob.

Paul S

I've got several tanks (all planted) but this is the only one where I have issues with green water. There must be a nutrient imbalance of some kind. Fish seem fine. In fact, after a recent water change I noticed some tiny fry, possibly from the apistos but not sure. Of course, now the friggin water is too cloudy to see them! Its driving me nuts.

Jumbie

Members
I have a UV I think it's a 15w I would have to check but I know it did up to 60g. I agree with Mat add some FW clams and see if it helps.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
You would have to add a lot of clams to make any real difference. The sterilizer will clear up the filamentus algae bloom you are experiencing. The blackout method will work for this type of algae but depending on the types of plants you keep, some won't live through the blackout. I too saw that petsmart has a cheap inexpensive sterilizer. I would try it. I have a turbo twist I have used in the past just for this purpose. Now I use RO/DI water and have not had this problem.