• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I love my job...

longstocking

Members
I'm thinking it will create more work than people think... I know in Cali the damage isn't always 100% clear right away, even for small earthquakes. Of course, I'm sure the VA side will have more work....

Buckcich

Members
1/32 is a little retarded :lol: Reason?

It's taxpayer money. They don't care!! I'm surprised when they spec out the job, they didn't requested smaller tolerances:confused:

I used to work at state/federal funded jobs that the entities we worked for didn't seem to have any interest in getting the job done. They called for ridiculous specs. It was called, job security...........

Sarah, 1/32 tolerance means a bunch of company, independent and entity inspectors to check if indeed the GC met the specs.( and raise the job costs because they are harder to achieve)

Nice pics Tony

longstocking

Members
My husband works in the field for both governent jobs and private...

He did do a job at the same location... it's where the official "inch" is :lol:

1/32 isn't abnormal... but very few jobs even government jobs require this... it's usually 1/16th or 1/8th.

I know way too much about concrete for a stay at home wife :lol:

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
... of course they aren't doing the labor part :lol: Just watching it :lol:

You're right Sarah. I do nothing all day long.

I think it helps that none of them have lost their jobs during this economy... kinda weird actually.

Kind of weird because it's not true. First thing that happens when the economy plunges is the banks stop loaning money to developers. Tough to get a loan for $400K for a new house? How about $80M for an office building?

No money to build equals no new construction. This means fewer construction jobs. The DC market is one of the better insulated markets in the country, but still - things are pretty abysmal.

See the breakdown below from the Wall Street Journal regarding job loss by sector in the 18 months between Summer 2009 and Winter 2010.Notice the construction market is by far the worst hit.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703946504575470001733933356.html

1/32 is a little retarded :lol: Reason?

Because it exceeds tolerances and practices recommended in ACI 117 and ACI 302 for embed placement and formed joints for an elevated slab. Additionally, the number of penetrations/sleeves do not allow for floor flatness testing (FF/FL) as outlined under ASTM E1155.

Think about cutting lumber and plywood. Do you generally measure to the 1/32" of an inch?

Beyond that, set up your scaffold bucks, screw jacks, stringers, beams and plywood. Then load with 700-800 pounds per square foot of reinforcing steel and wet concrete (plus live load, but you get the picture).

What happens to the formwork underneath? What happens to the mat slab below that all of this is sitting atop? They deflect and settle. How much will they deflect and settle? This drops the elevation of each of the embeds.

longstocking

Members
I was stating that none of the people I personally know have lost their jobs that work in concrete. I have a few friends and family in the field. Both in DC and in NC. Not the entire US :) That is why I found it weird! As I know construction is always hit hard ;) I guess my friends and family rock and do well at their jobs :)

I wasn't saying you don't do anything Tony... but I bet if you were loading wheelbarrows you wouldn't like your job as much... that is all I was saying. I know my husband wouldn't!!!

Last edited:

Tony

I hear ya, Sarah. It's just been pretty tough. As with most of the companies in this area, we have taken a massive hit from our 2008 gross figures (New construction in the DC market is somewhere around 35% of what it was a few years back).

This has led to many of my friends losing their jobs.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Tony hit the nail on the head. The construction market is in the tank right now. Our revenue nation wide is down 30% from 2008. We have had to lay off about 60% of our self-perform work force.

Hopefully things will start to get better, but most everything I have seen says 2012 will be another bad year.

dogofwar

CCA Members
To learn more about what the building will be used for:

http://nist.gov/building-and-fire-research-portal.cfm

Building and Fire Research Portal - Overview
The mission of the building and fire research programs at NIST is to anticipate and meet the measurement science, standards, and technology needs of the U.S. building and fire safety industries in areas of critical national need. Strategic goals include net-zero energy high-performance buildings, advancing infrastructure delivery and improving construction productivity through information integration and automation technologies, sustainable infrastructure materials, innovative fire protection, and disaster-resilient structures and communities, which includes work on hurricanes, earthquakes, and fires. NIST has specific statutory responsibilities for fire prevention and control, earthquake hazards reduction, windstorm impact reduction, and building and fire safety investigations.

minifoot77

Members
my job is mostly residential but i am setting up my old 32 meter pump in bel air across from looney's gonna pump the wall for a new beer store :)

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

Tony

To learn more about what the building will be used for:

http://nist.gov/building-and-fire-research-portal.cfm

Building and Fire Research Portal - Overview
The mission of the building and fire research programs at NIST is to anticipate and meet the measurement science, standards, and technology needs of the U.S. building and fire safety industries in areas of critical national need. Strategic goals include net-zero energy high-performance buildings, advancing infrastructure delivery and improving construction productivity through information integration and automation technologies, sustainable infrastructure materials, innovative fire protection, and disaster-resilient structures and communities, which includes work on hurricanes, earthquakes, and fires. NIST has specific statutory responsibilities for fire prevention and control, earthquake hazards reduction, windstorm impact reduction, and building and fire safety investigations.

The building will be used to setup structures (tied down through the 1200 steel sleeves) and expose them to obscene temperatures. Underneath the "strong floor," in the basement is room for mobile hydraulic rams. These rams can be connected to the structure above via the sleeves and forces can be applied to the structure while it is on fire.

There is also a 30' high, 4' thick "strong wall" next to the strong floor. It has another 406 sleeves running through it. The structure can also be tied to this wall and pulled/pushed on while ablaze.

So the tests they're talking about would be simulating forces running through a burning steel or concrete beam or column on 15th floor of a 30 story building. Same deal with a burning structure being subjected to hurricane winds or an earthquake.

Pretty cool stuff.

mdlnewman

Members
my job is mostly residential but i am setting up my old 32 meter pump in bel air across from looney's gonna pump the wall for a new beer store :)

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

MMMMMMMMMMMM BEER
:happy0180::happy0180::happy0180::happy0180: