• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I am setting up two tubs...

zackcrack00

Members
I am setting up two planted 25 gallon tubs, and was wondering wondering if this was an an okay stocklist:

Tub #1:
A breeding pair of some kind of small pleco

4 white cloud mountain minnows

3 male endless guppies for bug control

Tub #2:
A breeding pair of L279

4 Diamond Tetras

3 male endless guppies

Any advice would be great! Thanks, guys! Also, any suggestions for easy to breed tetras or other small fish to go with my plecos would be awesome!

Forester

Members
Plecos are big waste producers i wouldnt put them in an outdoor tub. Put a school of sometype of small tetra or a school of cories that should be enough for each tub. About 8 or so of some type of small sxhooling fish should be fine.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zackcrack00

Members
What kind of small fish do people usually buy that I can pit and breed in tubs? And how do cory fry survive in them?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I don't need filters, do I?

You don't need a filter if you are running air. I run filters on my tubs to ensure health. One has a pond filter and fountain. The other has a sponge filter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Unless you have a lot of plants, a filter can't hurt.

Like Lucas said, I'd stay away for plecos for an outdoor tub. Chances are they won't spawn over the summer and won't benefit from being outside like other fish will. Pick one species of tetra for each tub and go from there.

Don't forget, you'll need somewhere to put these fish when it gets cold in 4-5 months.

I'm a little bit confused. When you say you're setting up two tubs, are you talking about outdoors? I don't really understand this. Having tubs outside is sort of a whole different thing than having indoor tanks. It's more like having a pond, and like anything new, I'd assume there's a learning curve with outdoor tubs. Typically, the fish bear the burden when the fishkeeper is doing something new. How do you regulate temperature, for example? How do you keep it oxygenated? How do you pick stock that can stand certain extremes of temperature we get around here?

You can have fish in plastic tubs indoors. This is more akin to having tanks in terms of how you filter and heat them and stock them.

zackcrack00

Members
Yes, I mean outdoors. And I will use diamond and a some other type of tetras. Is a filter really necessary? I have a junk load of plants to put in that I've been growing in a 1 gallon acrylic container meant for gold fish aquariums.

Andrew said you don't need a filter as long as you're running an air pump. He has done ponds and knows what he's talking about. An airstone adds oxygen to the water. While plants do that while they photo synthesize, they use up oxygen when they're not thus the need for oxygenation. I run an airstone at night in my very heavily planted tank for example just to make sure the fish get enough

zackcrack00

Members
Cool, guys. I really needed the info, thanks! O will post a new thread in the marketplace for fish, tomorrow. Good night!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
The majority of fish take their oxygen through the water. Very few are adapted to breathe surface air. This is why an air pump is needed. Like I said, I use a filter/fountain in one of my tubs.
A tub setup is no different than a glass aquarium in that it needs to meet the requirements of its inhabitants.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App