• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How to move tank and fish???

NYfan78

Members
Hey everyone! I am moving at the end of this month only about 20 minutes away if that. Now as seen in my signature below i have a 55 gallon that is going with me. How do i do this? Do i go to home depot and buy a bunch of 5 gallon buckets and save the water and use that when i get to the new place? I know ill need a few battery operated pumps. I would love if i could get detailed instructions on how to do this. I would hate to loose my guys!
Thanks a ton in advance and look forward to seeing everyone at the September meeting!

PS: Anyone wants to help you are more then welcome:D

-Scott

fischfan13

Banned
Hey everyone! I am moving at the end of this month only about 20 minutes away if that. Now as seen in my signature below i have a 55 gallon that is going with me. How do i do this? Do i go to home depot and buy a bunch of 5 gallon buckets and save the water and use that when i get to the new place? I know ill need a few battery operated pumps. I would love if i could get detailed instructions on how to do this. I would hate to loose my guys!
Thanks a ton in advance and look forward to seeing everyone at the September meeting!

PS: Anyone wants to help you are more then welcome:D

-Scott

Take it from someone who has moved a few times...don't panic.
What kind of filters are you using?
Last time I moved this is what I did:
Pulled out the rocks.
Put about 2 1/2 gallons of water in a bucket.
Drained the tank, netting the fish and placing them into the bucket.
Pulled the sponge filters and put them into a Ziploc bag.
You can either leave the sand (substrate) in the tank (this way you need two people moving the tank, or scoop the sand out and put it into its own bucket...I left the sand in the tanks).
When you get to the new place is when you have to move a bit.
Either throw an airstone into the bucket with water or start swirling it around for a few moments...remember, ammonia is starting to build up.
Start filling up the tank. If you are using the same sand and it is in its own water for no more than a few hours and/or using the same filters that have not been out of water for more than a few hours then just fill the tank with new water, adding the fish while the tank is filling...and I, personally, would not add the old water from the bucket back in.
You will have enough beneficial bacteria in the sand/substrate or filters to be able to handle a complete water change.

If the place you are moving to uses the same water supply, I would start doing water changes a few days before the move to get their water as close as possible to the big water change coming when they move. If a different water supply, I would still do the water changes, but I would save/take that water with me in buckets.

F8LBITE

Members
The key is to save the filter media and keep it wet. Fill the tank with water close to the temperature it needs to be add dechlor, and hook up the filters. As fischfan would say "BADABING!" youre good to go. If you were closer I would help you out.

dogofwar

CCA Members
What they said.

Don't feed the fish for a few days prior to moving. Less waste.

Basically remove the fish to a bucket (I use a battery-operated airstone and add in a piece of polyfilter to suck up the ammonia).

Drain the tank. Remove the rocks, etc. to another bucket for ease of storage. If you have a helper, leave the sand in the tank; if not, remove the wet sand to another bucket or 3.

Move the tank and stand to the new place. Set it up...add new water...get the filter running...and return the fish to the tank. A couple of pieces of polyfilter and/or an extra dose of Prime will handle any ammonia or nitrite spikes... Some salt and Melafix will help with the fish...

Also, don't dump the dirty water from the bucket into the new tank. Just the fish.

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I agree. The more you can spread things out, the slower the build up of ammonia in the water in the bucket.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A couple of buckets with battery air pumps should be fine. I'm assuming that the fish are all 4" or less, correct?

Spine

Members
I like to line my buckets with a plastic bag. In the past I've had a problem with fish getting cloudy eye from rubbing against the bucket,especially big fish(4in. plus).

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
That should be fine. I prefer rubbermaid tubs because they can hold more water and have more surface area, but its just personal preference. Make sure you have lids for either you use.

NYfan78

Members
So i did go get 2 rubber maid tubs and they worked out perfect. The move went perfect, everyone is doing great too, no deaths!!! Thanks to all for the help!