• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How long do you quarantine?

TovMahal

Members
Bought some Victorian haps from Dave through group buy and have had them quarantined since last Friday. Has it been long enough for me to add to established tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

blkmjk

Members
Not at all and it is costing me dearly at the moment hope I don't loose any prize fish. I've lost 4 already because of no quarantine since last weekend. Bad idea on my part. I should have done my due diligence. 125$ Down the tube.

Drew

TovMahal

Members
Sorry to hear that Drew. Thanks everyone for the advice. Since I will be heading out of town next week and won't be around to separate fish if a problem arises (adding Victorian haps to an establish Mbuna tank) I will wait till I get back to be on the safe side.

frankoq

Members
what size are they and what size quarantine tank?
Just curious.

is it 2 weeks period and transfer them or what signs do you look for to declare them "out of quarantine"?

I think by the time they go through all the treatments, it is closer to a month. This is one reason I do not buy anymore.

Maybe, but they all come from wholesalers.

It's not the length of time... rather what you do with it. By the time you run them through 4 separate wormers, a month has passed.

Na Im horrible. I look at the fish and put them in the tank lol. I have never had a problem when buying from reputable places. :cool:

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I quarantine for a minimum of 2 weeks but if anything seems suspicious (not eating, swimming oddly, fin/body appearance) I quarantine for much longer.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So I was curious to know if any research or anything that correlates to solitude and stress which can then leads to issues????
In other words too long in quarantine might lead to issues?
Just curious.

dogofwar

CCA Members
More often than not, my quarantine tanks turn into the permanent home for that group of fish.

Stress for a fish is dumping them into an established community and having to immediately go into fight or flight mode. Quarantine (tank with no other fish) has got to be much less stressful (and risky to the other fish).

Matt

So I was curious to know if any research or anything that correlates to solitude and stress which can then leads to issues????
In other words too long in quarantine might lead to issues?
Just curious.

Lost

Not at all and it is costing me dearly at the moment hope I don't loose any prize fish. I've lost 4 already because of no quarantine since last weekend. Bad idea on my part. I should have done my due diligence. 125$ Down the tube.

Drew

I hope it was not either one of the plecos you picked up at AM2!!!!!!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
More often than not, my quarantine tanks turn into the permanent home for that group of fish.

Stress for a fish is dumping them into an established community and having to immediately go into fight or flight mode. Quarantine (tank with no other fish) has got to be much less stressful (and risky to the other fish).

Matt

I understand that but hasn't there been studies about fish depression and the social-ness or am I off

frankoq

Members
Sounds like we need a fish psychologist. :confused0083:

I have a peacock in the hospital tank because he was beaten almost to death.
He has been in the H tank for a week an he is doing a lot better but fins are still bad.
I will not put him back anytime soon, but he is alone and hanging in the bottom of the tank all the time.