• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How important... .lighting

TeamPisces

CCA Members
How important is the lighting for a fish only tank? I see a lot nice fixtures, but I don't want to spend a whole of money. Are fluorescent light fixtures still a good option for a 55 gallon?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The lights are for the humans more than they are for the fish. Lots of people don't even have lights on their tanks, just lights in the room.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Like Jon said, the fish don't really care. I use standard fluorescents on most of my tanks because they're cheap and work fine. Some people use shop lights to save money but still have decent lighting. Really just a personal choice.

Ading522

Members
As mentioned its more of a benefit to humans than it is to fish.. Natural habitats don't even have that much light all day long.. It will all come down to what kind of setup you want for the tanks purpose.. Breeding or show.. I guess in breeding tanks its better with minimal lighting in the tank and whole room.. For show tanks, sky is unlimited..its your choice.. I have LED's running on mine with a built in ramp timer to simulate sunrise and sunset..

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rasta Fish

Members
They are good and cheap also
I find them better for showing certain colors in fish like Red and orange
the LED lights kinds wash those colors out..well at least the one i have
Like fellow members says Light is for Human use, that's why we have aquarium for our personal satisfaction so go get a nice light so you can enjoy your fishes or it just a waste of space ...