• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How do yall know so much!??

Shane

Members
In all seriousness, and in my own case, the answer is books, books and more books. In addition to the below.... there is a two drawer filing cabinet of articles and papers and several gigabytes worth of digital papers, books and articles.

DSC_0750.jpg

DSC_0751.jpg

DSC_0752.jpg

hotwingz

Members
Ha i was afraid this would happe...i joined this forum to get a few dumb questions awnsered more directly then searching google and other forums. And i now fear that my interest in having a fish tank with a few nice fish (cichlids) is going to turn into a near if bot eventual obsession. And lots of time and money spent!

But thanks again for all the great places to start looking. Ive have a dfew years expirience with community fish (easy stuff) and ive had piranhas (very interesting fish) but im rounded out now my first year of cichlids and they are by far one of the most interesting anything! That ive found to invest in.
Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Pulp friction

Too bad that in any given calendar year close to 90% of American families don't buy any books - more so as "reading" is an entirely different experience than the web. What I can't figure out is why everyone keeps prefacing comments in this thread with "seriously", "in all seriousness" and the like - guess I'll have to re-read it all as I must be missing some aspect of levity or disingenuousness.

hotwingz

Members
I will deffinately admit that i dont read enough actual book media. I read lots online and now more so here about my fish. But i do plan, thanks to you guys farther spiking my interest in my aquadic friends, books on who and what im keeping!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not sure where you're located but Montgomery County has an excellent selection of aquarium books. And they're free to borrow :)

Matt

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Books and Magazines were always my sorce growing up.

Some of my earliest memories are of two fish tanks in my parents house. We moved out of that house almost 50 years(omg) ago.

I used to subscribe to FAMA and TFH in the 80's and kept every issue for years. When the internet came around I did get rid of them but I would use them as research all the time. If I saw something in a fish store, I would go home and thumb through years of issues. LOL
I would read like crazy to find out about fish.
Now like others I use the computer too much.
I still buy some books but seldom use them. Heck, I bought several books during our last book group buy and they are still in the wrappers. lol

As far as other knowledge, it was trial and error for me. I am old. Heck my fish room is over 20 years old. I built it before the internet and there were no clubs around for me to get ideas. LOL I just did it.

Take your time and research.
You will not do everything right.
None of us do.

hotwingz

Members
Haha ya i knew there was going to be a huge learning curve and that it just takes time. But when yall spit out these crazy names and know exactly what it is...crazy! Im going to do my best to catch on but. Itl take some time. And great points from all of you thanks. Im guna look into some of these aspects soon!

mscichlid

Founder
Start looking into second hand book stores for books on aquaria and cichlids. Subscribe to the aquarium magazines, join a local club, go to conventions, and ask your questions here.

hotwingz

Members
Ya well i was going to ask a what a couple good magazines to subscribe to might be!

mscichlid

Founder
Tropical Fish Hobbyist
Amazonas
Cichlid News
Practical Fishkeeping
Join the American Cichlid Association to get their Bundtbarsche Bulletin