• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hospital / Quarantine / Fry Tank

Wblaze

Members
So, I have heard many people here say they use 2.5 or 5 gallon tanks as hospital / fry tanks so I have a couple of questions. When is a fish too far gone to bring back to health? How are you filtering these small tanks? Obviously a aquaclear from a 55 will be too big to move, so how are you cycling them? Thanks. I will hang up and listen to your answer on the air :)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I run extra sponge filters in all my tanks over 10 gallons, so I just pull one of those to drop into a hospital tank if needed.

As far as when is it time for a fish to go, that is really up to you. I have a hard time killing a fish that has a little bit of life left in it.

ezrk

Members
In general if they aren't dead I will give them a shot. We brought back a beat-up Red Zebra girl who had no tail fin and was lying on her side in the hospital tank once. We have had more equally distressed fish not make it, but I figure they want the chance to come back....

dogofwar

CCA Members
I prefer a 15g or larger as a quarantine or recovery tank.

Super small tanks (2.5, 5, 10g) can swing too much in temperature and pollution levels (especially for fish that may or may not be eating) to really make a fish feel comfortable.

Matt

Hawkman2000

Members
I agree with Matt for the same reasons, and that you never know what size fish you might have in the future, or what kind of juvenile capacity you might need. 15g would be the smallest I would get.